Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60I

Thank you I will look it over.

Yes I’ve got mine working but not with raw voltage. See my post above. It explains how I did it with CNC card installed and the Hypertherm plug n play cable Langmuir sells. It works like a charm!

I just got my 60i automation card and cord installed and was able to do my first cuts on my PRO with the IHS but the THC test is not working. No voltage. I have the pins connected per your previous post. My question is, do I need to do something with the plate contact pins? Am I missing something obvious? Any help is appreciated.

The only mod I did was to route the divided voltage thru the OK to Move relay. Did you verify the Automation Interface card is set to 50:1 output? It should be by default but it’s possible the dip switch is not set right.

Got it working! Bad connection on the divided voltage wire! Thank you!

1 Like

Good to hear. Have fun burning metal!

Thanks for the info, just to confirm. If wired correctly, there should be continuity between pins 12 and 14 while the torch is on?

Correct. And Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. 12 & 14 are not continuous during cutting and so I am not getting a voltage output through pins 14 & 6. Makes me think my “Ok to move” relay is bad. Do you have any suggestions and if not I am wondering how you got in contact with Thermal Dynamics.

Gene is the senior tech. Ana was also very knowledgeable and helpful too.

Technical Support
ESAB/Victor Technologies
1-800-426-1888
2800 Airport Rd
Denton, TX 76207

Fantastic. Much appreciated!

1 Like

I have a service manual(PDF) for the 60i but it’s too big to upload to here. :slightly_frowning_face:

Already got it. I’m not particularly well versed in electronic schematics so I can’t make all that much sense of it. I checked the resistance across 12 & 14. During cutting operation my meter reads No Load. Interestingly though it has a non-specific resistance in the kohm range while the machine is not cutting.

Are you re-routing the divided voltage thru the OK to Move circuit?
I moved pin 5 to pin 12 then put a jumper from pin 14 back to pin 5.

Yes, I am. DIV negative from the thermal dynamics automation card to pin 12 and pin 14 to the negative input for the VIM.

1 Like

Are you plugged in to the VIM box correctly? (made that mistake myself)

Certainly looks as though I am. I have probed 14 and 6 during cutting and have no voltage but 5 & 6 do have voltage during cutting. To me the only conclusion is that the issue is upstream. I will call in tomorrow and see if I can’t get to the bottom of things.

Thanks for all the help

1 Like

Sorry I couldn’t do more. TD tech support is awesome. Hope they can get you going.

1 Like

the link to the manual is above if you need it.

1 Like

Managed to sort it out. I Isolated the relay circuit on my 60i’s PCB (pin 12 & 14 @ plug J069) and was getting continuity during cutting while the THC was off. Probably a beginners error but what I realized was that the “OK to move” relay and light were only actually switching after approximately 0.5 seconds of the arc being established. I realized instantly that all that was required was a longer pierce delay to get the torch height controller to read the divided arc voltage before moving and tripping the error. Not sure if that delay is common but it took 1.5 seconds of pierce delay @ 40amps through 3/16" mild steel to make it happy. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes