The brownfox thread

Yes I have manual control over z axis. I’ll double check my post. Thanks!

Here’s my post from my test square. I’ll have to compare it to my heart I was test cutting where I saw THC did not appear to be adjusting.

(SheetCam - FireControl Post v1.5)
G90 G94
G17
G21 (Units: Metric)
H0
G0 X218.543 Y72.968

G92 Z0.
G38.2 Z-127.0 F2540.0
G92 Z0.0
G0 Z5.08
G38.2 Z-127.0 F254.0
G92 Z0.0
G0 Z0.508 (IHS Backlash)
G92 Z0.0
G0 Z3.81 (Pierce Height)
M3
G1 Z1.524 F1524.0 (Cut Height)
H1
G2 X216.511 Y75.0 I0.0 J2.032 F7620.0
G1 Y128.1717
G2 X218.1717 Y126.511 I1.6607 J0.0
G1 X162.6281
G2 X164.2888 Y128.1717 I0.0 J1.6607
G1 Y72.6281
G2 X162.6281 Y74.2888 I-1.6607 J0.0
G1 X215.7998
G2 X217.8318 Y72.2568 I0.0 J-2.032
H0

What version of FireControl & firmware do you have?

20.3 for fire control

Took a picture for the other versions, shouldn’t it say pro?

Also having this problem now. It’s not firing the torch soon enough or the torch is moving too fast and it’s not even cutting at the start of my lead in. I got better results by increasing the pierce delay in fire control and slowing the torch speed just a hair.

But definitely no THC indications.

image image

1 Like

I’ve been having that issue where torch takes off before it fires. Im using the Miller 625, so not sure about the HT45xp, but I had to add some delay after my cuts to let the torch ‘reset / cool’ before the next pierce. I modified the fusion360 post to give me some options to add delay. Link to the thread about that below…not sure if same issue, but definitely messed up a bunch of cuts before I realized what was happening.

That makes sense, I only have that problem when it’s the second pierce. Funny that you have the same problem using a miller and fusion. I’m using hypertherm and sheetcam. Problem must be in fire control then right?

Well I added a 3 second pause after cut in sheetcam and still have the issue of the torch moving before firing on my second pierce.

Yeah - I’ve not found a magic setting yet for my setup - there may not be one. 3 secs seems to work for me on some speed / thickness combinations but not on others. I was doing some 1/4" plate today and I needed 13 seconds. I’m using Fusion and Sheetcam.

Don’t want to lead you down wrong path - there are lots of HT45xp users on here - surely we’re not the only ones having the issue??? I never used my table with THC firmware < 1.9 - it’s possible it’s an issue in the controller???

Perhaps batch 1 users that have been running much longer might have some insight.

Thanks. I think I’ll do some more searching and testing then make a new post.

All right. Got my THC questions answered, got my pierce delay mostly figured out.

Now on to cut settings and quality. It’s not where I want it to be for artsy stuff but for straight line accuracy and size, we are there.

I found some play in my x-axis, so some bearing adjustment will take care of that. Beyond that i believe it’s speeds and pierce delay and making sure the torch is mounted and squared. Once I’ve got all that done I’ll swap in new consumables and give it a whirl.

Thanks for all the help!

1 Like

Meh. Like every other forum I start on, my personal thread drops off a cliff. I added a bottom shelf, van stone flanges for drains, got some SterlingCool plasma cut. RV tank…

Think I ruined some consumables by not plugging in my HF dryer, about to run some cuts and see how we do. I’m not happy with my cuts because I can see where the lead ins and outs are on all of them. Also had a slight bevel.

I adjusted my eccentric bearings for the z, hoping that helps.

I’m also beginning to think that there may behoove me to strategically place my start points. Is this the right track? I probably could have read this somewhere, but I like to learn by doing…

I’m seriously considering a long form video titled, “So you want to start cnc plasma cutting stuff?”

1 Like

I’m late to the party and you may have figured it out but I noticed that there was no pierce delay in the code that you posted.

I have seen where book settings for pierce delay are too short with how the software is configured currently. I’m adding anywhere from .2 to .5 seconds to book settings so that it pierces completely before traversing.

The only other thing that I’ve done is add a .5 second pause after each cut.

1 Like

Yes I got all that sorted out. Oddly, that square cut fine.

Anyway, cut a bunch of 16 gauge stuff the other day. Wife helped me stage them for photos.

image image

6 Likes

Got my drain setup finally figured out. Bought a 13 gal RV tank but it was a hair too small. Got a 16 gal to replace it but its got an weird main fitting 1.25 od.

With the right tubing and a clamp it just looks hacked. So, I’m going to drill a hole in the top And let my table drain straight down and melt the “boss fitting” closed.

I went with the 16 gal because I wanted the smallest footprint for my under table shelf.

Refill is happening with a little harbor freight Drummond 10 gpm pump. I may hook it to a dead mans pedal, may not and just use my power strip to toggle it on and off. It will only be filled once a week really so not a huge deal.

I’ll post pictures when it’s done.

Finally, my water height is uneven between table halves. Ive leveled the table, but I think some metal shavings wedged in between the tray and the rail when using the self tappers. Or perhaps my slats are uneven and the table is still not level?

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

1 Like

I’ve noticed that the water height was off when leveled also. The left side is “fuller” for me. I chocked it up to the water tray warping when I welded the two halves together. Can’t say the thought hasn’t crossed my mind to get a new tray bent up locally.

I have the same thing. Looking at the slats now to make sure they are square with the X axis bar. Of course the THC should aleviate some of that, but if the piece being cut is at an angle, then you will see more bevel in the piece that is being cut I would say.

1 Like

image Tonight’s projects.

Brutus the Buckeye got the acid bath (Muriatic).

USMC logo may not fit in my tub. Both going to a co worker. As soon as he saw my previous posted photos he had like 4 things he wanted me to make him.

Brutus was bitmap traced in Inkscape then modified by me. USMC logo was traced by me and inverted for metal compatibility.

7 Likes

Just got my dsub extensions and new PCV parts to finish my fill setup. Pics coming tonight.

Here’s the final drain and fill setup. 16 gallon rv tank from amazon, harbor freight pump, some tubing and right angle barbs. Fills back through the drain pipes. Very very nice. I think this is about as clean and compact as I could make it.

I was initially using the 1.25 OD “boss fitting” on the RV tank but it leaked even with the right size tubing and a clamp cranked to high hell. Plus the adaptor setup was too big. I melted that closed and drilled a hole in the top of the tank and put the PVC pipe right in it. Used a silicone funnel to clean up the look.

image image

4 Likes