Text won't extrude. SOLVED: Don't Explode TEXT - use as profile plane cutting tool

That looks nice, they have a lot of reclaimed lumber in their shop so was thinking of doing something with that for a background, I’m leaning towards gifting them the metal part and then finding out exactly what they want for the finish part. That way I can keep the surprise but endure they get exactly what they want.

3 Likes

I do agree with the layered pieces. I always tig weld studs in place. I have been afraid of glueing layers. How long will they last in the weather?

2 Likes

So true. Even with good contact the expansion and contraction breaks stuff. In Alaska, frost heaves are a common occurrence. This is what you had to look out for: even on new highways.

As it thawed, those humps would lose support and then would crumble.

WHAT??? Off topic? Nooo…I was just agreeing with Phillip in a very roundabout way. :innocent: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

You can keep that kinda cold! Virginia gets plenty cold enough for me.

1 Like

Yep…hated it. Lived in Fairbanks the last 7 or 8 years and decided “When I get out of this place, I am never coming back again.” I held true to my words: came back 2 summers and then for a visit for my 20th class reunion.

1 Like

And here I was, worried I had taken it off topic…thanks!

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Plum forgot this was my topic!!!

Word to the wise, don’t follow me…I am not wise!!!

2 Likes

This approach uses standoffs.

I haven’t had any come apart and some are approaching 2 years hanging in my garage through 80 degrees of temp variation.

I used to use silicone caulk on ones with no air gap. I did quit using caulk and have been using clear two part epoxy (JB Weld). I rough the surfaces with 60 grit flap disc. It holds fine for layers less <5 lbs even with air gap. Anything more I mig weld bolts for gapped, layered stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, studs are superior. My stuff is mostly give away or sold for <$40, so I try to keep cost to a minimum.

2 Likes

Yeah, he is “doin it right”, but that’s commercial level pricing as far as Midwest is concerned. I’d do that maybe for my own keeper stuff, but hard to spend 8 hours plus materials on gift or craft fair type items.

Great video though. Watched the whole thing and enjoyed it.

1 Like

Oh I meant studs no stud gun here. All thread I do the holes in my cad for each layer the just tig all thread. I have used bolts as well before too.

1 Like

I can totally see something like that: If it is not exposed to the extremes holding up for decades. What I am thinking about is in direct sunlight on a 118 degree day. We have that, at times, in eastern Washington. A piece of wood can survive on the ground for 15 to 20 years. It dries and splits but does not rot. In western Washington, the same piece of wood will be totally rotted in 8 years or less.

I understand, those little standoffs are expensive. Here’s a cheaper option in both time and expense. A friend of mine used these when he came for a visit and made a 3 layer sign for his racing team.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BMPRC87J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

2 Likes

3M VHB Tape:
“The performance of VHB Tapes is not significantly affected by exposure to sunlight and harsh
environments. Outdoor weathering decks in Florida (hot and moist, high UV), and Arizona (hot
with high UV) and other locations around the world are used to collect data on the long term
performance of these tapes. These harsh tests typically show 100% bond strength retention after
2-5 years.”
Source: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/764998O/iatd-product-info.pdf

From the same source:
Temperature Resistance: 121°C

3 Likes

I worked at solar startup years ago and we used 3M VHB tape in our concentrated photovoltaic modules.

4 Likes