Text won't extrude. SOLVED: Don't Explode TEXT - use as profile plane cutting tool

I remember reading that now. I did intend to ask where he downloaded or purchased.

@ChelanJim @KNPV-PSD any chance to get the file in a dxf I can’t do anything with a f3d.

I found a free download for the font.

1 Like

Aren’t you a sweetheart!!!
Alaska text.dxf (91.0 KB)
Frames and antlers.dxf (39.5 KB)

1 Like

Just tell my wife that.

2 Likes

Give me a couple hours to get home and I will see what I can do .

Papyrus, came with my install of Windows.

2 Likes

Just got back from dinner. Thanks for all the help.

I really want the font to work, it is my best neighbor’s business logo and I’d like to keep it “authentic” if I can. I am retired and it’s not a time vs money issue, so if I need to hand fix each one I can do that. Was just hoping for an easier path…

I am not even sure the cutter can handle that font and all of it’s “character!” I’d likely need to smooth it out anyway?

1 Like

i just got home i will look may take me a bit no promise. i have a program we use for a vinyl cutter it does an awesome job.

the only thing i have seen with specialty fonts is a lot of time you have to make the larger.

1 Like

Sure is appreciated! I was going for 2" on lettering but could go larger if needed.

@KNPV-PSD, I believe you can make the picsvg.com route work if Phillip is not successful. If you would like more help with that, I could help you.

1 Like

what was your overall planned size?

I have a Pro, so up to max, but was planning on 24" wide and whatever high to keep the ratio.

@KNPV-PSD

i can successfully create a tool path in sheetcam. the pieces is 25x15 just to make the font cuttable the letters have too close in the corners. i can post the dxf and svg either way i am not sure you can resize and generated a tool path in f360.

let me resize to 24 and see if it will generate and i will send a screenshot.

@KNPV-PSD it is tight though a .09 lead will not fit in one spot sheetcam will still generate a tool path

3 Likes

Wow that looks great! I’ll send you a PM.

I tested the “A” on some scrap.

It turned out much better than I thought it would. And much better than I deserve…:joy:

I used a standard 45a nozzle with 14ga material. I might try with a finecut setup but this will likely be good enough for what I’m trying to do.

3 Likes

Will definitely look interesting. Can’t wait to see it finished.
Do you plan to paint or powder coat?

MIght rust it and then clear coat. It is a surprise, so not sure what they would prefer…

1 Like

Have you considered cutting a solid backer plate and paint it a different color so the text stands out? So for example, you rust/clearcoat the main sign, then attach a back plate that’s painted black or white. Mask off antlers and brown/beige them

I use thinner (cheaper) metal for my back plates. Sometimes it’s even thin enough stuff I can cut with tin snips and then glue it with two part epoxy.

6 Likes