Text on a path problems (solved) Help with getting text where you want it, lots of tips inside

I like that idea.

Sometimes the center on the "A"s is hard to make into stencil when the font size is small. The legs are all that’s left after making the opening match kerf width plus a small amount.

1 Like

So now I am looking at the most economical way to cut this.
This is a 2 sided sign that the cut out letters will be mounted to a round wood circle. My plan was to use the round ring that the letters were cut from to get the correct placement on the wood.

But I won’t need this for the 2nd side So I was just going to copy the letters to a straight line path. (hope that makes sense.
Am I on the right Path?

Just to confirm understanding, you are asking if you can cut your flip-side letters in a straight line vs the arc shape on the original sign, correct?

I have never done a double sided sign, but since the original letters came from a font and their bases are flat (not radiused), I would assume this should work fine.

May want to wait and see if anyone else chimes in with any “lessons learned” advice.

Edit: The radiuses resulting from the trimming may run at the wrong angles.
Edit AGAIN: Sorry I was looking at ChelanJim’s version of your sign. I think you should be fine.

1 Like

I want to just take the letters and copy them on a path that is in a straight line to save material.
I have never done any copying before so another step I have to learn if I can.
It seems like it would work to me but I wanted to get other people’s thoughts

1 Like

There are a couple of things keep in mind to copying things:
1: Selection boxes created to the right (dragging mouse to the right) need to encompass the entire element such as the entire circle, line or box, to actually select the entire element.
2: Selection boxes to the left will select the entire element of anything you touch. If it includes a single point of a circle, it will assume you meant to pick the entire circle.
3: You must find the “Create Copy” check box in the dialog box before you move the selection. Sometimes you will need to cursor down in the dialog box to find the check box. If you move the selection even a smidge, you will not be able to “copy” at that point.
4: If there is any element anchored by a constraint to the “origin” you will not be able to move it. That is one reason I don’t like to start any sketch at the origin. You can delete the constraint anchoring the object to the origin but it will throw you off if you don’t expect it.
5: Once selected, you can move, rotate, or resize the selection (by changing the “sketch scale” under “modified”).
6: When moving, if you grab the horizontal arrow, you will only be able to move horizontally. Same with the vertical arrow (only able to move vertically). If you pick the square, you can move it anywhere.

Browsing this thread made me appreciate how Illustrator’s mastery of text creation (font’s are most often made with it) makes work like this simple even for an occasional user like me.

This is related to this post, so I thought I would add to this one.

Ok I want to attach the text to the path line I put it on so the center of the state will cut.
I have not been able to find out how to do that.
Let me know what I am missing please
MT 25x14.6x1.244 Work with this v3.f3d (135.0 KB)

Just helping my wife and kids get ready to go down to America they have a playdate with some friends down there, then I can take a look at this on the live stream.

I’ll log into discord at the same time if you want to ask any questions verbally.

1 Like

I won’t be here but look forward to the video. Thanks

Ok so I worked on this some more and found my problem was a open line. I will say this, with all the help I have gotten from the fabulous people on here I am getting better at fusion. but my problem going forward will be retaining it.

3 Likes