Text on a path problems (solved) Help with getting text where you want it, lots of tips inside

This is the sign I am trying to make.
I got the RENOVATIONS on the circle fine. Went to add ALL DAY at the top and it wont let me select the circle any longer. I can select some other piece of geometry ok, but not the large circle.

It’s almost like I need to do all the text at once? or make the circle into two separate pieces?
All Day Renovations v6.f3d (117.1 KB)

I found the fix I put another circle on top of the first one. Not sure if this is the best or only way

2 Likes

This is all I got when opening your file. I could select any of the circles.

Oops. You replied while I was in F360.

I dont what happened there I will have to go back and see what I did.

1 Like

@Wsidr1 OK I dont know what happened to the first file. I did get the text where I wanted it but as usual I am stuck again.
I made this from a picture first time for me and I can’t believe I made it as far as I did so far.

So somewhere in the process of making my sketch the canvines went away before I was done. So I had a sketch 1/2 done but I needed to add the state outline to it.

I went back to the original canvines and traced the state, then I copied that and pasted it to the sketch I had half done. and now I am stuck. Maybe now I have two sketchs one on top of the other?

If you would like to take a look please do and let me know what you think.
ALL DAY v0.f3d (298.5 KB)

I ll take a look at this on live stream at 630am MST.
Also on the discord server

Stand by ends at 7:15

I don t think this video added much to the discussion but there it is.

you have to make sure to create the canvas before the sketch in the time line.

1 Like

Hey Tin, I have never had any luck using History. Only options I have are current condition or original blank Sketch. What am I missing in Preferences? Or does the Non-Commercial user version just not have access to that feature?

I didn’t have time to watch the video, so maybe repeating here.

When you say “now I am stuck”, what else are you trying to do next?

Your letters still need work as many are overlapping each other or spilling outside the circle. I’d select them, Unfix, and hit “M” to bring up Move, then drag them where I wanted them. Several letters also need to be made into stencil font.

After that your gonna need to create some tabs/connections between what stays vs what gets cut out. Right now the center will just fall out when cut.

1 Like

You can turn on History here

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-turn-on-Design-History-in-Fusion-360.html

3 Likes

I have not watched the video yet but will tonight
I did strat with a Canvas first and traced over it. I think what maybe goofs up the time line is I get to a point and I save my work under a new file name. and may do this several times.

Yes the placement of the letters is what I tried working on. I did not know I could take and move individual letters I will look into that.
Everything in white will be cut and attached to a 36" round piece of wood.

My history is on and sometimes works. but I think when I rename a file and continue history does not come with it.

You need to unlock the letters and turn the green lines to Blue lines before you can move them.

Green lines are locked sketch lines.

Blue lines are just standard sketch lines and can be modified.

Use the padlock icon towards the center top of your screen in the modify section.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve confirmed that and even though it says it’s capturing history, if I click on Previous Step, it always just goes to a blank sketch condition.

All of my “User Saved” saves show up in History when I open that option by right clicking on a tree component.

There’s no history in a sketch itself besides for undo and redo.

The history is if you had a sketch and then extruded and then started another sketch and then added a canvas. the history is for those different item features.

2 Likes

Just select all of the letters and use the right click and Unfix option. Then you can move them individually, or as a grp if you select all of them.

2 Likes

Thanks I will give this a try

Ok I can unlock each line but if I try to do the whole letter I dont see the unlock?

select everything and hit the unlock.

you may have to do it twice.

2 Likes