Suddenly no arc...incorrect consumables?

I have a love hate with this machine. It works…mostly, most of the time. I can never get through an entire job without losing arc, having to go back and recut. I get cuts that are incomplete, just kind of slag everywhere, other cuts int eh same job are perfect.
Today, same thing. Started a 10 minute cut, 12ga steel. Easy. Done it before. Cut was beautiful, then nearing the end…boom…just slag and not even remotely cutting through. I went in check everything. Consumables were rough. So…I changed them out.
Now, the thing won’t arc at all. Air comes on, it starts moving, no arc, just errors out. I can’t get it to fire an arc during test, can’t get it to fire at all manually, but I have also never used it manually so who knows. I extra cleaned the ground spots and checked that, that seems ok
What torch I have exactly, no clue. It SHOULD…SHOULD be the x45 based on the stuff I was using in it, but it also doesn’t really look like the pictures. The internals match though, so we’re going with that. All the internal parts are present.

Could you take some pictures of the consumables you took out of your machine before it stopped working and take a picture of the current consumables and post them on here.

I’ve gotten consumables for my Miller before that don’t have proper tolerances and would not ignited the arc with new consumables.

1 Like

What plasma cutter do you have? How old is it? were did you get the plasma cutter? Were are you getting your consumables? What size air compressor? What is the air pressure to the plasma cutter? what is the air pressure on the gauge of the plasma cutter when cutting? Were is your work clamp?

1 Like

Mechanic:
Razercut45
80gal 2hp compressor. Running 110psi. Regulator at plasma set at 90
Everything was purchased as a package from langmuire 2 years ago.
Consumables that came with the machine just ran out with this burn out.
New consumables were bought from langmuire.
Work clamp is ALWAYS clamped directly wonabwire wheeled section of the workpiece.

Oddly…the consumables that came with the machine, there was a whole pack and I’ve been very careful with them does with this issue. I had purchased a set of electrodes and tips from langmuire a while back knowing I’d need em. Never really looked at them exactly but the tios are definitely oddballs…electrodes are exact match for the x45. The tips don’t match either cutter…

Side note:
All I ever cut is 16-12ga sheet metal.

are you using the hand held head? Can you pull it out and try to cut something by hand on some scrap.

Nope. Won’t fire by hand either. I’ve never used it by hand so maybe I just don’t know how but I’d imagine it’s pull trigger and go. Using the trigger, nothing happens at all. No air, no click, nothing.

Assuming it’s not a problem inside the machine, maybe this is my motivation to get a machine torch finally?

I know this is a dumb question, but, is the power switch on? (lights)
Is the circuit breaker on?
sounds like its in the plasma machine.
Bob

Lol. Yeah, she’s on. Like I said, lights are all on, it clicks on and the air comes out. Just no arc.
I did take apart the trigger and clean it real good. So that fires air now, but still no arc. I went in and cleaned the plungers, all the metal bits are shiny now.

have you tried putting the old consumable back in to see if it fires. that’ll tell ya the actual consumables or not. that new tip looks outa of place though.

I’ll put the old tip back on since it’s not totally toast, but the old electrode certainly is.
At some point between when I got the machine and when they started selling them, the nozzles for the x45 changed? Or something.
I did notice, or should say never took notice before…should there be a gap inside the nozzle for the electrode? It seems to move in there a bit, like it’s not seated all the way in.

IT’S THE NOZZLE.

Put the old one back on, fired right up.
So.
Can someone help me here. I apparently have an X45 electrode, but like…ALMOST an S45 nozzle???

I’ll have to sort out that problem next, since here is the fantastically clean cut I get. Mond you I’m set at 90psi. 16ga steel, 60ipm, with a delay of .8 and a height of .065.

Fix me please. I really want to believe in this system. It’s great when it works and so far is the only machine I’ve ever had that I question it’s payback rate.

If you want you can call me and talk about this. I am available till 8 pm est.

George
George’s plasma cutter shop
302-690-6995

1 Like

Oh, YOU’RE GEORGE.

Yes, that would be amazing. Are you available during the day at all?
I’m probably going to just buy a torch from you anyway at some point here.

I am closed on Tuesdays and Sundays. You can call but may not get an answer. 9 am till 6 pm all other days.

You’re the best! Thank you. I’ll shoot for Wednesday.

That will be fine. I was just working late tonight.

You want air supply from compressor to plasma machine set 110-120 psi. torch air pressure 70-75 psi. Cut delay .5 and cut height .06 and cut speed is to slow for 16 gauge, I would try 180-195 imp. You have any good consumables left to try?

1 Like