Suddenly no arc...incorrect consumables?

Make sure to attach the work cable clamp direct to the material you are cutting.

1 Like

What about 12ga?
I have the machine set to 35A at the moment. That just seems incredibly fast

60 IPM at 35 amps on 16ga is way too slow. I cut 16ga at 30 amps and 150 IPM, so at 35 amps, you should be over 150 IPM.

12ga at 35 amps, you should be around 70-80 IPM.

You are blowing out the cuts because of to slow of a cut speed and to long of delay, results in overheating material and destroying the consumables as well. I have titanium 45 with plasmadyn machine torch and I cut Everything at 45 amps, and it cuts fine details without blowout, turn your machine amps to 45.

For informational purposes, I’m cutting the 12ga at 60ipm.The few 16ga cuts have been around 100. I’ll crank the amos up a bit, and set it to 70.
You mentioned the delay being too long, what’s ideal?
It’s very strange to me. All my other experiences with machining, speeds and feeds are easy to sort out, but with this, it’s all over the map.

Interesting. Ok. So basically, until I can spring for a machine torch, I’m kinda stuck running it wide open and just adjusting the speed.
From using them by hand in the last I guess that’s not a big deal but with the CNC I can see why that’s not ideal.

You can run the consumables at any amp you want. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the orifice hole is about 1.0mm/.040" = about .055" cut. So if you are trying to get a lot of fine detail with spiderweb lines or real thin pieces of metal between them you will have a hard time as the cut will be to wide.

1 Like

I guess I had that wrong sorry

@Knick you were not wrong. The cutting tip is rated at 50 amp. Therefore they work best at between 40 and 50 amp. That is what most manufactures and I recommend using them at. This is more critical on a CNC table then it is when hand cutting as you don’t need that fine line or detail.

I have customers that use there plasma cutters everyday in the field and all they use is max amp so that is the only cutting tips they need and buy. They are not making signs, logo’s or art work to be seen closeup were detail matters.

4 Likes

@mechanic416 When I read your response compared to what I had said I thought it sounded confusing. So I thought it better to delete it than maybe confuse people.
No biggie

Thanks for the chat today George. I want to be sure I am asking for the right parts. Since I have what seems to be a mismatched set from the factory…that worked for some reason.

It seems I have the 52574 Electrode, and the 51206 nozzle you have listed here:
5PC TECMO 51206 CUTTING TIP RAZORWELD 45 PLASMA CUTTER X45/HYP45/FLAME TORCH | eBay

If that looks right, then I’ll try to order those parts up.

Guess what else I found after a random youtube video popped up…
the plunger in the handle is SUPER sticky. Not dirty or corroded at all. It just, doesn’t want to move. I took it out, made sure inside and out was very clean, and yeah, I can stick it in, push down and it’ll just stay down. Thoughts? Just sand it till it slides or???

Well that electrode and tip are toast and I see an arc mark on the new electrode that is caused by the plunger in the torch not working.

If you took the torch apart and everything is clean and works when the torch head is out of the handle then something in the handle when you put it back together is causing it ti bind up.

If you plan on ordering consumables I recommend getting everything and not mixing my consumables with what you have.

1 Like

YUP! I am working on cleaning it more, but it’s very clean inside. Like you mentioned on the phone…tolerances. I’m fairly certain these parts aren’t quite within spec. So, I’m very lightly scotch brite rubbing until it slides. I’m starting to think this has been the headache since day 1. This plunger probably never fit properly. After I get this thing sliding nicely I’ll put those new consumable back in and see what happens!
Then it’s on to the cooling/dryer issues.

1 Like

And she fired right up.

3 Likes

I’d like to thank everyone that helped me in this thread. I just ran this small little piece to test everything. It’s the cleanest cuts I’ve had, ever. All the dross on the back I can flick off with my finger, the edges are almost vertical, I have zero gouging, no misfires, no restarts. The pierces were perfect (outside my need to adjust the entry) and it was fast.

12ga sheet, 70ipm, ~42A

I’m a happy guy. I still have a long way to go to getting dry air, I just don’t have the budget right now for anything extensive but it’s a start!

7 Likes

That is a good start. Things are really looking up. :+1:

1 Like