Stock types / sizes to practice?

New to CNC and wondering what are some good types and sizes of material to play around with? I’m thinking alum vs steel. I was looking at some options from Metal Supermarkets but need some help with selection i.e. Flate bar, Square bar, size, etc.

I would recommend practicing on what you plan to use the most or a variety.

Also friend a local welding and machine shop find their supplier or try to buy from them. I would guess it’s cheaper than ordering online. Or a local scrap yard a lot of time they will let you look around then sell to you at scrap price.

1 Like

If you need to just test out some toolpaths, machinable wax can be helpful. While it’s not that cheap compared to aluminum on the first purchase, it can be re-melted with ease and machined over and over. Also super easy to cut and can be cut dry just fine which makes it a little easier to clean up.

Other than that, as suggested above, try to find a place that sells offcuts or scrap. My buddy lives next to a metal recycler with a huge section of Al for $3/lb and I have him stop by to grab me some every time he makes it up my way

2 Likes

buy scrap, most metal recycling places will sell to you at a steep discount, and normal local metal suppliers will also have cut offs for sale for a good price. And still with aluminum or even MDF until you get comfortable. I find alot of things don’t need much more than 1" thick material. But it really depends what kinds of things you are into.

1 Like

Great suggestions guys, thank you!

1 Like