Still getting pierce marks

Try to move the z axis up and down to touch down on the metal.

Observer the ( IHS ) initial height sense light going on and off at the bottom of the screen in fire control as you touch down, then lift off.

Is something binding in the z axis?

If your Pierce height starts too high it will add a bunch of extra heat to the piece.

It not touching off : that is a issue that needs to be solved.

It is hard to know where you’re at till this is functioning properly.

You are making progress.

2 Likes

Post the G-code for the file that didn’t touch down before cutting. We can look at it to see if the IHS loop is there. I’m not a Fusion user, but I think I have seen a box to check for the IHS in fusion. Maybe you unchecked it?

1 Like

In the original file he posted he had the box checked in Post properties.

Looking at the code might be helpful though.

It’s too bad it wasn’t touching off because it kind of wrecks all the testing we’ve been doing…

Isn’t it crazy how we all take a bunch of stabs at it and it ends up being some little thing but at least we’re getting to the root cause.

1 Like

Did you adjust the kerf width in your program to represent the low speed settings. It’s a little detail but all these things add up to the end result.

I think it goes from .046 to .029

IHS was checked, and the kerf was narrowed, when I get done with some normal work stuff I need to do, I will go out and double check the Z axis today…

I also noticed it yesterday, and ran a test through fire control, because I thought it was odd, because I remember it touching the metal. It passed the test in fire control and the cuts were fine.

I think it’s awesome that you observed it happening because now we can start trying to fix it.

Keep us updated please.

Maybe @brownfox could chime in here after the initial height sense issues resolved.

He’s definitely produced some of the best intricate fine cut work I’ve seen posted on here.

I know he ends up running a lot of settings at 30 amps but I’m sure he can elaborate on his methodology.

If you search for him on here too he has a few topics discussing it.

Just to give an update I did about 40 trial runs on a scrap piece of 16ga. I don’t have and pics, but the cut is the best I have had it. Basically running 35 amps, 88 volts and 125 in per min cut speed, the pierce mark is still slightly there but 250% better. If I cut a complete sign I will post it up… thank you to everyone for the help

2 Likes

@RShilley Hey Ryan… That’s great news… Maybe just a touch more tweaking and you’ll have it spot on!! Good work!

Thank you sir.

I don’t run anything at 30 amps. All my 16 gauge that requires fine detail is done at 130 IPM and 40 amps. Book specs for Hypertherm fine cut low speed. I also use the book spec kerf. I also have never had to enter a voltage. I let IHS do it’s thing and despite LS saying it’s for thicker material, I find the voltage is always pretty dang close to book spec.

One thing to remember is the slightest movement in your work piece can cause a pierce mark or make the lead in noticeable. I check my workpiece multiple times and even hold it down to ensure there is no movement for cuts that are critical. I also use sawtooth slats that I can flip and rotate.

A lot of it comes down to the design too. I know that I can cut out a letter with only a 1/16 bridge to hold the center without an issue.

I don’t check the forum much these days.

1 Like

Awesome, I agree 100% . The book settings work great for me too.

Why? I miss your content .

Yup! Me too… Always good quality stuff…