Smallest Hole with Default Setup

From other’s experience, what is the smallest hole the standard Crossfire Pro setup (w/ Razorweld 45) can do? Are there any tips/tricks for being able to cut smaller hole? (Example: remove lead in?, cutting a “point”?, etc)

My goal is to make locator holes which I can drill out later to a more exact size. I would like to make them small enough to drill out a through hole for a #6 machine screw but if that is to small I can change that to a #8.

You can make dimples. If your using sheet cam there is some utube videos on making drill marks. Basically the plasma cutter fires for a very short time just to make an arc point on the metal.

There is a few setup steps to do this in sheetcam and fusion so it doesn’t take into count the kerf width and reduces the arc time etc.

Search the forum for drill point, centre punch or dimple etc. I’ve seen it discussed a few times and may get you going in the right direction.

1 Like

Matt, here’s a good link with info---->

Just a note on this “spot piercing” or “pilot holes”…

I just went through this in making taller stanchion plates for my PRO table… Worked great!! However, there must have been just enough carbon in the mild steel to harden a bit @ the spot pierces… Sure, I could carry on drilling and take my time etc. etc… NOPE!! Threw them all in the forge and annealed the entire batch… Afterwords… Cut like butter again!!

If it’s a few holes, a torch would work just fine as well…

2 Likes

The spring holes in this picture are 3mm. They cut pretty clean and I think a clearance hole for a #6 screw is a bit larger than that.

3 Likes

They look great! What method did you use to create such holes?

I designed the parts in FreeCAD and post processed through Sheetcam. Nothing special was done, except utilizing the “start at center of circles” option in Sheetcam and a path rule to slow down to 60% of program speed on holes.

1 Like