Simple Z Axis Tramming Question

I have been working on the tramming process and Ive got a question about shim placement.

The spindle is still in the lower position and I have surfaced the base plate. I then set the Z axis to .001" error across 6 inches with a 246 block going from Z zero to Z -6.000". Good deal. But when I threw the tramming tool in it, Ive got .012" difference from the rear to the front.

So the tilt correction is straightforward, especially if you do the setscrew mod, but how do you correct the spindle tram (nod) vs. the z axis alignment? Do you shim between the spindle and its mount?

It’s a pain, you have to loosen the bolts and shim it.

Youre talking about where the spindle sits in its bracket for the Z axis casting, correct? Not just where the casting mounts to the linear bearings?

I was kind of expecting that. It does look like my spindle mount bracket is pre drilled from Langmuir for set screws, though. That will make the tilt adjustment even easier. ****Edit: Im stupid. They werent pre-drilled adjustment holes. They were the holes from the bolts I had literally just taken out two minutes before. I swear, Ive got the memory of a goldfish sometimes. ***

Yes, the three behind the spindle I believe they are 5/16 bolts if I remember right.

Bill,

Thank you very much! I just shimmed the lower ones with a cut up shim from the Y axis rails to get a baseline (it was way too much). Then I cut up shims from the lower Z and got it dialed in pretty well. Tramming across 123 blocks 16" apart, ive got .001" in Y and .0015" in X.

I only had one bolt installed in my Z axis spindle mount for use in the upper location, I thought there were supposed to be 2?

Same here, I got only one of the upper spindle position mount bolts. ( was put in with red Loctite )
And I went from 5 shims in the upper position ( according to the calculator), to 3 shims in the bottom to get my nod down to an acceptable 2/10s over 6".
My problem now is that nod and tilt reading is only in one quadrant of the base plate.
I’m trying to figure out if there is twist in the x carriage and or a convex / concave condition on the Y rails.
Hmmmm.