Short consumable life

What do you guys think the problem is? I have an after cooler and just installed a HF air drier. Have a motoguard filter right at plasma, as well as a pressure/filter at the wall. I don’t think this could be just rusty metal, or could it? I do a lot of cutting on .125 metal because I got it in a trade.

I get about 315 pierces at 16 minutes worth.

Georges shielded consumables.
45A
62PSI
85 ipm
.6 pierce delay
.15 pierce height
50ipm plunge
.03 cut height
.05 kerf

I believe I get good cuts with these setting, almost no dross. Anything stand out to you guys?

Thanks!

Those are done for for sure.

I always thought it was good to get that many pierces out of a set with my rw45. Cut time not that long. Piercing is the hardest on consumables.

1 Like

Do you have a desiccant cell? Wondering how you’re getting rid of the moisture content between 0° c and -40°c

That is not that bad. Air is set a little low should be about 70 psi flow pressure. But why is there blow back build up on the tip? Are you using the CNC shield? What amp tip are you using?

1 Like

Haha, I just had a 2lb one and ripped it out when I put in the HF drier. Too much changing it every few weeks when I cut. Maybe I should have kept it in and sealed off the air inlet instead when not using. My theory was it was slowly absorbing when sitting and doing more harm then good.

I am using the 50amp shielded tip and cnc shield from you.

16 minutes of cut time is about 1360" or 113’ I would say that was very good. Also the tip in the first picture other then the build up on it is not that bad. The electrode is toast. Up the air pressure to 70 I think that will help.

I still don’t see how you are getting the build up on the tip. 1/8" 45 amp will blow right through it there should not be any or very little blow back.

1 Like

You will want to keep your desiccant sealed.

In a sealed air system it should be fine.

You have a check valve at the tank and an air solenoid at the plasma sealing each end of the pipe system.

Your refrigerated air dryer is really only good to about Plus four degrees Celsius. Plasma cutters are recommend to have a pressure dew point of -40.

So everything from +4° Celsius to minus 40° c will have to be taken care of with the desiccant cell.

The after cooler and your refrigerated air dryer both help remove load from the system but the final latent loads have to be taken up with the desiccant cell.

2 Likes

Sounds good. I will put it back in and put a valve before the desiccant filter. There is a quick coupler now, so I can disconnect and wheel it to the wall when not in use.

Humidity and air is a complicated enough subject.

But humidity in compressed air is even way more complicated than that.

There is three fundamental ways that water is removed from Air.

One is by lowering its temperature below the dew point. This is a state change method of getting rid of moisture.

A desiccant cell uses adsorption. This physically traps the moisture to the surface of the silica beads

At a motor guard filter uses absorption. And the filter in this case is used like a sponge where the moisture is pulled within it.

The easiest and cheapest method to get rid of the large loads is by cooling the air.

Then the remaining loads which are hopefully very small at this point cuz you’re almost at 0° c can be taken up by the desiccant through adsorption.

I would love to sit down and do a video about this whole thing. The hardest part about explaining this is a lot of people don’t understand how water vapor in air physically functions because it’s usually explained very poorly in school by people that don’t really understand themselves.

For normal atmospheric air you can simply use a psychrometric chart to find out where you are moisture wise. But when you start compressing air it changes how much moisture the air can hold. When we’re talking about atmospheric pressure we’re talking 14.7 PSIA or less.
But with us compressing air we are talking about 150 PSIG which completely changes how it holds water.

3 Likes

You should!!! This is really interesting stuff…

…heck, just this morning I watched a 40-minute YouTube video on calculating kerf widths with graphs and sample cuts to validate the math and theory. It was fun to geek out on that stuff.

-TM

2 Likes

That would be great.
Even If langmuir could do Some kind of instructional video about every aspect of what to expect and not to expect

So many people think it is plug and play. Then can’t understand why consumables won’t last or cut quality is poor.

I am just shooting from the hip I would say I have better than a grand in my air drying system.

4 Likes

@Phillipw , I couldn’t agree more. It really takes more then buy it and use it when it comes to plasma cutters and CNC tables.

3 Likes

And they expect it to be plug and Play while buying the cheapest equipment ( plasma and compressor )and materials ( air piping ,electrical service and drying equipment) possible to support their langmuir.

8 Likes

I planed on doing video’s and bought me a brand new gopro4 when they came out. its still in the box never used. The battery is most likely no good now anyway.

Just never think about doing a video when I am doing things and most of the time I really don’t have the time to do it or edit and post it.

2 Likes

What about the Hyperthem guys strutting around like a peacock with 2000 pierces? Is their torch design just that much better? :slight_smile:

Most definitely that’s the difference between a 1000 dollar machine and a 3 to 4 thousand dollar machine.

1 Like

I made that upgrade. There is a real difference.

There is nothing wrong with the other machines. Better most times cost more.

3 Likes

Night and day difference.

@72Pony come on now I work my way up the ladder.

Started out with a Miller spectrum 375

Then move to an Everlast 60s

Now I run a PowerMax 85 and have a PowerMax 45 XP for marking and backup.

I even have a POS high frequency cut 50 in the cabinet not doing anything.

@Carrera1984 I’ll see if I can find the picture showing the difference in the consumables between these products and it’ll be pretty obvious why there’s a huge difference.

2 Likes