Shit the bed ( miss fire )

So, i finally got everything I wanted for my table got all setup the way I wanted it , and I got hit with the old ( MISS FIRE ) yep it happened OOOOO BALLS and the live voltage spiked to 300v. So guess ill take it easy today .

How is the langmuir torch height control getting the voltage?

Divided or raw?

What plasma cutter are you using?

What are you cutting?

What parameters are you cutting with?
IPM,amps,psi,delays ,etc

Are these your first cuts on the table?

Raw
EverLast 82i cnc
1/4 mild steel
ipm 47
amps 45
psi 80
delay .3
YES first test that matter

Settings I would have started out with for 1/4" mild.
raw voltage should be from the inside of the plasma cutter NOT cnc port and should read 90 to 110 volts
ipm 47
amps 45 with 1.0mm/50 amp tip
psi 65 flow 100 to 120 psi coming to the plasma cutter
delay .7
torch height .060"

To much air pressure and to little delay time.

4 Likes

Well just went out to garage and adjusted my air to 60 no good that unpluged and then pluged them all back in no good , the air kick the torch touches the material nothing happens .I sent langmuair system an email.

@TurboTom
George (mechanic416) pointed out something to make sure of…I am an Everlast Plasma owner also…and I have never had an issue with THC or a lot of other things when I

• RAW voltage from the actual terminals inside at the front of the plasma
  • clamp to material…
  • super dry air…

I 'm hookup to the lug in front of the machine , my clamp is clamp to the steel and i thought you want dry air .

Do you think you could post some pics of exactly how your torch height control is hooked up.

what boxes it’s connected to where.

What lugs your hook to.

The 300 volts for your smart voltage sensing is a huge red flag.

1 Like

I got 120 to the machine then regulator turn down to 65psi I realized it was to hi , im hooked to the lugs in front of the plasma cutter. the tip size is 1.2 that smallest i have right now

300v is live voltage
I’m hook up to the + and - as instructed to on langmuir website when it miss fires it attack like it to fire it don’t the torch goods though all the steps.

make sure your compressor is putting out 90psi…then press the aircheck on the front of the everlast and adjust the regulator on the back of the Everlast to center the 60 PSI setting on the front.

next you mention 120 to the machine?..does that mean you have the plasma wired to 120?..

Sorry i meant 120 psi to regulator i turn it down to 65 .

no…you should have at least 90 psi coming out of the compressor…and then adjust your regulators or the Everlast.
if you have 65 psi coming out of the compressor you will not get enough at the torch end.

how big of a compressor are you running?

1 Like

I have 120 out of the compressor and 60 after the regulator , thanks everyone i did find the problem I put the torch machine to high in the torch holder

3 Likes

Glad you got it working. Delay should be .5 but I always start at .7 and go down if it works. If the delay is to short it will cause misfires. Tips are 1.0mm/50, 1.1mm/60, 1.2mm/70 amp and 1.3mm/80 amp. Try 65 psi for 1/4" and 3/8"

1 Like

there’s nothing like wasting your stock…afterall, thats why you buy it…right?..just pull off more money from that tree in your back yard…geez, why is this misfiring such a problem?..red about it week after week

why?..well…here are some reasons…

• wrong wiring installed on a hand torch by end user
  • 2T/4t button mix up
  • poor air quality…wet or not enough
  • knock off consumables.
  • wrong consumables for the torch
  • Positive material clamp on slats or table…not on metal workpiece
  • wrong post processor used
  • using Mach3 instead of Firecontrol in newer tables or upgrades
  • simple human error in torch height installation
  • torch speed to fast/slow
  • amps to low
  • the list goes on…and on…
3 Likes

Another huge reason for all the misfires is everyone trying to use B grade economical plasma cutters.
The difference between misfires and a grade plasma stuff like thermal dynamics or hypertherm and B grade equipment is huge.
I had(have) an Everlast 60s which is a very good machine I would consider it the top of the B grade tier. it worked really good but there was the odd hiccup and it would go through way more consumables than my new machine a hypertherm 85.

My hypertherm 85 has been completely Rock solid with my langmuir crossfire pro.

I would say the three biggest reasons for misfires are:

1.Owners doing a very bad job of reading and understanding their manuals for both the Langmuir and whichever plasma cutter they choose to use.

2.Owners choosing to use “economical” plasma cutters. There’s a reason the price point is half of of a hypertherm or a third the cost.
Component quality, build quality and reliability

3.Owners believing they have dry air when they don’t.
Unless you have a pressure dew point monitoring system,
you can’t know you can only assume.

Why don’t people understand that the langmuir is the most baseline economical route to get into plasma CNC.
This economy comes at a price.
And the price is that the user needs to be responsible and knowledgeable about his baseline entry level product.

The only plug and Play CNC machines are the type that a company comes sets up in your building sends your crew away for training and then it’s" plug and Play"

Langmuir is definitely for those individuals that care to read and learn about the equipment they’re using.

Individuals that understand that the budget of the equipment is a trade-off for owner responsibility.

Langmuir is definitely not for everybody.
Especially low effort individuals.

10 Likes

AHMEN!!!

Thermal Dynamics is made in China so I would put Hypertherm in a class by itself and maybe throw Miller and Lincoln as Class A-

2 Likes