Settings and tools for cutting 20GA

I have not purchased the Pro yet but am going to.
I have some questions:

#1) I saw a few people refer to cutting 20GA steel with settings like “600IPM, 75 CFM and 27Amps”. However, the manufacturer says that the CNC maxes out at 300IPM. Which is correct, 300IPM or 625IPM?

#2) I’ll be using galvanized 20GA steel and want to minimize dross. I need to remove any dross BUT I do not want to damage the consistent color/coating of the galvanized surface.

What tool would be best for gently removing a small amount of dross from 20GA?
Flap Wheel
Grinder

#3) I’m planning on using small amperage for thin metal. Do I need to have a 240Volt socket available OR can I use a 120volt(normal house) socket?

#4) To minimize heat discoloration on the 20GA galvanized steel, I imagine that the water bath would nee to be very close to the metal? How close is necessary to prevent discoloration?

#5) Will the Pro run off a 4KW(4000 Watt) generator(not an inverter)? I expect to run the cutter around 25-30Amps at most.

#6) Does anyone rent their plasma cutter when not in use? I thought about buying a used 8’ wide x 10’ long trailer, mounting everything necessary(table, extension, generator and compressor) and making it a mobile CNC Plasma rental.

I’m excited about making these parts!

What plasma do you plan to use? That will be a major factor in amps and speed. The table itself runs on 120 volts so I don’t think you would have a problem unless the control box doesn’t like the generator. You may need what I think they call a sine wave generator. Don’t hold me to the proper name. Your big problem would be running a big enough air compressor on that generator.

I’ll get the Razorweld 45 with Machine torch. So, it’ll be the one that they suggest and pair it with.

The table itself will run 120 volt and then the plasma cutter will nativly have a 240 plug BUT will have a 120volt adapter…I think.

Tim

The rw45 is a 240 only plasma.

Does it not come with a 240 to 120 converter?
Tim

The Razorweld 45 is not a dual voltage plasma cutter. It needs at least a 30 amp 240 volt outlet.

There are dual voltage plasma cutters, but they are usually limited to around 20amp power output on 120.

The biggest issue is finding a compressor that will supply the necessary air output on a 120 outlet.

I doubt you’ll find many people that want to rent a plasma table that can only cut small parts out of thin gauge metal. Those people would also need to quickly learn how to post process their files to be able to cut them.

1 Like

No it doesn’t have a converter. I assume you mean the plasma having 120 outlet on it.

The Pro with Machine Head goes up to half inch thick metal, correct? Is that considered thin metal?

Is 60, 75 or 90 cubic feet per minute suitable for the 45?

I have a rw45 that I have made decent cuts on 3/4. It is a good starter plasma.

As far as compressor you need to be able to maintain 75 psi at the torch and around 100 at the inlet of the plasma.

I will screenshot a picture of a portion of a cut chart for the rw45 you can look over.

1 Like

1 Like

The thickness of metal that you can cut at a reasonable speed is totally dependant on the plasma cutter power output. If you use a dual voltage plasma cutter on 120, you’ll only have about 20amps of cutting power. You won’t be cutting much over an 1/8" with that.

The cfm needs of each plasma cutter is slightly different. You need to look at the cfm requirement of the plasma you plan to use. You don’t want something that just barely covers it, because it will be running constantly and creating hot moist air. Plasma cutting needs cool dry air.

1 Like

You will need a large generator to run a air compressor large enough to supply a plasma cutter.
I think your ROI will be non existent if you try yo do something mobile plus the trailer will not do the plasma cutter any favors.

1 Like

That’s a legit answer. No mobile rental then.
Tim