Saw fluid for plasma table?

I have some saw/ machining fluid I’m wondering if it would be good to use on plasma tables? Hangsterfers s500 and fmt sharp cool bandsaw fluid. Any reason to not use this stuff?

I wouldn’t it is more of a lubricant. Never now what kind of chemicals you would be vaporizing. A respirator is a essential around a plasma, welder or any other metal smoke anyway I wouldn’t add to it.

3 Likes

Here is the MSDS for S500. I highlighted pertinent information that would prevent its use as fluid in your plasma water table.

Short version: Keep away from sparks flame, sources of ignition and heat.

Hangsterfers_S-500 CF SDS.pdf (89.3 KB)
information.

2 Likes

On both containers the flammability and reactivity ratings are 0. This stuff is used for sawing machining and grinding. The lubrication properties are concerning, I could see that causing more vapors than a dedicated plasma cutting fluid. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

I use Sterling cool, it is developed especially for plasma cutting. It costs more than using what you might have on hand but it’s purpose formulated and it keeps the water like new. For me its worth the extra money to have the right stuff. I would probably use straight water before a formula that might not have been tested at plasma temps.

1 Like

Did you read the MSDS sheet?

Sorry I realized if looking on the phone the “highlights” block the text.

Here is a link.

I would recommend using just water. Your slates are all you are protecting if you have a pro table. Your slates are a consumable. They will not rust into before they are cut up. Just drain you water regularly.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been doing so far. I have a holding tank below the table, should the water be changed out often? Will there be any growth or smells storing the dirty water?

Any untreated water can become stagnant. I haven’t got into all the holding tank thing. Some people have awesome setups. I see unnecessary expenses. It’s less than 20 gallon I never save mine.