Razorweld 45 misfire help please

Does it look like it is together correctly? Does anyone have a picture? Manual doesn’t have one

Okay, just got off the phone with Mike at razorweld great guy and told him I am cutting again (by hand just about 2 inch) going to put it back on table in am and see.

So machine seems okay…looks like a consumable problem right now

SO…what was wrong? Right now no fr**ing clue.

I did modify an electrode, went from 1.175 to 1.095, had to take off backside, so I wouldn’t cut out the plasma tip thingy in the copper

So it now has about .025 preload and will air fire and cut metal :goat:

Do I will try to cut in the morning or…in a few minutes

Just need to finger out why…I had no clearance in torch…

So my problem started after swapping my consumables for the 1st time. I had so little time on it; it has taken this long to get there. I really used the factory pcs, lol there was no tip insert left.

SO I swapped out consumables with ones I got online. Didn’t fix problem of lost arc

After speaking with George several times and speaking with Razorweld, I got Hypertherm pn’s and went to local Airgas and got some electrodes and caps.

And had this issue pop back up. No clearance in my torch head. With consumables online and from Airgas.

I made this video to show razorweld what was going on and if they had any ideas.

After watching the video and trying several combos in there shop they are sending me a replacement torch (they have shipped over 5000 units this year alone w/o an issue) I don’t think I messed anything up taking it apart since it is only 4 pcs

Now on that note, I have been in the tool and die/machine shop for 26+ years and have done everything from mills/lathes/wire edms, grinding, sawing, purchasing etc. I am now the QC manager and I have to issue the occasional rma for 1 or 2 parts on 300/600/1000 pc runs. So it is possible for a pc to be out of spec and or tolerances stack up

Razorweld, especially Mike has been 100% straight up awesome with me in all directions
this is taking with customer service.

Will keep everyone posted

2 Likes

Wow my brand new torch has the exact same clearances and pre-load as this. I haven’t used it yet but from reading this thread it looks like its going to cause me misfires. Do I have a defective torch handle?

Now that sounds just my style…!!!

1 Like

I have considered getting a new swirl ring. I have about .060 preload and I have all kinds of misfire until I hit about 90 starts. from that point until it’s dead it works great. I feel like I have to burn off the first .030 of my electrode before it starts working correctly.

Could be the torch or could be the consumables

Hmmm I’ve been wondering about that for a while. I’ve had this issue ever since I started using my ebay consumables. I get them from plasmadynusa They are supposed to be the correct ones for my torch. I never did purchase a new swirl ring from them. I prolly should have. I feel like my stack height is off.

Yeah, I’d bet the source of your problems are those consumeables. I ran some of those eBay ones in my old Harbor Freight 40 amp cutter, nothing but problems.

so I ground the end off my ebay consumables and they work AMAZING!!! Without Grinding I had like 3/16" of preload. With grinding I ended up with like .06" preload. I have zero misfires and the cut is a lot better. I’m super pumped. I guess the electrodes are just way to long on the plasmadyn consumables. This is a total game changer for me!

1 Like

Just hope you took the metal off the back side not the front.

1 Like

guntruck: Thanks for this info! I was ready to swap out my plasma machine. I had the same frustratiions. I was told by someone in the beginning to buy hypertherm consumables. That was the issue. I machined an electrode down after watching your video.Machine worked fine. I called Razorweld expecting them to offer me a new torch like they did you. Whole lotta Nope! They put it on me for buying hypertherm consumables. I distinctly recall at the time of purchase being told to use hypertherm in the torch. So anyway, Razorweld referred me to a tool supply store that carries Razorweld consumables. I ordered yesterday, hopefully this solves all the stop start/misfire issues.

2 Likes

Why didn’t you get your consumables from Langmuir?