RAZORCUT45 Misfire Issue - RAZORWELD TECH BULLETIN 9/23/2020

What amps are you using? Ground clamp on the metal not the table.

I have tried 28 and 30 im testing on 24 guage scrap

Get some 14 or 16 gauge metal and try it. 24 gauge is way to thin and you will have trouble keeping the torch lit.

1 Like

Ok I have some 14 but this plasma cutter should cut 24 My other plasma cuts it with no issue manually. If langmuir did the repair on this cut45 then the resistor part was not done unless it was done by Razor

Ok this gets wierder every minute. So I put 14 gage on and it seemed to fire and run pretty good except when it got to the end of the project the torch would not shut off it kept running until I killed the power on the razor.

Is the plasma cutter set in the 2T mode? May want to back the air pressure back down.

1 Like

We just received our new Crossfire XL and we purchased the RazorWeld 45 as part of the bundle deal. IS this still an issue with the RazorWeld 45 we just received or did the manufacturer address and resolve the issue with the brand new unit we just received?

The manufacturer has addressed the issue for all units that we sell now. So yours is good.

Thank you!

wellā€¦was going to look into the new XLā€¦but after reading this discussion, and previous replies from customers having this problemā€¦ya, i know it just a resistor replacementā€¦ but is enough for me to wait on thisā€¦judging from the post date for the fix, im guessing problem is resolvedā€¦or isnt it? would love to hear back from their experience with the ā€œfixā€

I did the fix, my problem ended up being a faulty torchā€¦
do you have the new style torch or the old style torch?

Nobody mentioned that if you have THC, it will auto-stop the cut and allow you to go back and restart from where the misfire happened. So, if you have THC, turn it on, and it will allow you to save your cut.
ā€¦
My razorweld definitely has this defect. It misfires at least once every time I cut something. However, thereā€™s no way Iā€™m going to try to fix it myself, iā€™m not paying a local electronics repair shop to fix it, and iā€™m certainly not going to ship it across the country for razorweld to half-butt fix it. Iā€™m just going to continue living with the defect, until I can afford a better quality cutter from Hypertherm.
ā€¦
Really sad, as I spent more than a year saving up for the CrossfirePro kit, only to have non-stop problems from day one. Iā€™m honestly glad that the problems werenā€™t caused by Langmuir, theyā€™ve always been super helpful and Iā€™ve always felt bad for having to continually complain about the misfires and cutting issues. Knowing that the issues rest with Razorweld makes me hopeful that sometime in the future Langmuir will start giving us the option to buy kits that include a proper Hypertherm cutter.
ā€¦
Langmuir, thank you for your honesty. Please keep improving your products. Donā€™t let Razorweld hold you back!

1 Like

I wish mine could cut like that!

If its a plasma cutter issue your having I may be able to help you, just contact me.

I received my Crossfire Pro and Razor Cut 45 in August (2021), put everything together and it worked great. Cut out several test pieces in 14ga. Today I tried my first real part in 10ga (~33amps). The torch misfired after about 3 minutes. I restarted it and it continued for about 1 minute and stopped completely. The torch will no longer fire at all even manually. No air flows. I restarted the RazorCut 45, restarted the crossfire, made sure air pressure was sufficient, no warning lights, etc. I also replaced the tip but since it was hardly used at all I donā€™t think thatā€™s an issue. I triple checked all the connections, but to no avail. Looks like Iā€™m stuck until Razorweld support gets back to me.

1 Like

Tried again today, and it dry fired fine and I finished my cut in 10ga steel (about 30 seconds). Maybe this was due to over heating? But the overtemp indicator light has not been illuminated. Very strange.

Ive had nothing but the same misfire problems. Did all the hoop jumpingā€¦RAZORWELD is YUGO.
I wasted 900 hard earned dollars. I am going today to buy A hypertherm 45 with machinetorch. My question to anyone who has done the HYPERTHERM retrofit. How difficult is the wiring to make the THC work? Can you explain it so I can get this table running efficientlyā€¦So tired of wasting metal and time.
Thanks In advance

That hypertherm is pretty much plug and play if you buy the hypertherm cable from
Langmuir.

Thereā€™s also a few different models of the hypertherm 45 XP be sure that you have a version with a CNC port.

Are you sure that the issues youā€™re having with your razorweld are isolated to the razor weld?

What kind of issues are you having?

The only reason I ask is it would be a shame to buy a hypertherm and carry your problem over if itā€™s not directly related to the razorweld.

In my experience itā€™s very hard to solve a problem thatā€™s not defined and typically leads to you having the same problem again.

2 Likes

Hi Tin whisperer, I had this problem of misfiring since assembly. I recieved my Machine in Nov of 20. Found this thread in around Jan of 21, found another thread talking about consumables, I went through the consumables change, I was finally able to get Razorweld consumables from a tool vendor in washington state. According to Langmuirs replies on this thread I assumed my PCB mod had already been done. So, I went through the work of others recommendations, putting the power supply on its own breaker completely by itself, tried extra grounding through the table, to the floor, machine to the floorā€¦etc. Still misfires mid part. So, decided to open up the machine to see the mod for my own eyes. YUP, it was done, with one giant blob of solder across both contacts on the board, Ohmeter confirmed conductivity across both wire legs of the SMT(same as OME47s post off Jan, 4). I was able to clear the solder between the contacts until continuity was broken. Tried it againā€¦WHOLE LOTTA NOPE!..So went back in and turned up the air pressure to 60operating as suggested by another poster. That helped to solve the beveled kerf problem and added starts between the misfires, but still misfires on average 25% of the starts. I did notice it misfires more when its a quick move to the next cut ( shorter time since the last cut ) When its a longer distance between it usually fires. My son has a larger table from a different company with a hypertherm 65. He doesnt have any of these issues. Hell get two to three sheets of 4x10 parts cut on the same tip and electrode. I get 30-60 seconds on some because the misfire damages the tip. I may go a 65 for the added ability if I ever need to do thicker material.
I dont know of anything else I can change, modify, or wave a crystal over to solve the lackluster performance of the Razorweld. I called them last week, and the customer tech support is about the same quality as the productā€¦Time to move on unless you have insight to what I might be missing

Sounds like a lemon.

You wonā€™t be disappointed in the hypertherm.

I run a hypertherm PowerMax 85 with the Duramax 180 machine torch and it is a rock solid piece of equipment.

I bought the CNC pigtail from langmuir for hypertherm.

Hypertherm I believe is only selling the PowerMax 65 and 85 for a few more weeks before they move into the SYNC series.

And I believe you can use SYNC consumables with the Duramax torches but Iā€™m unsure if you can use the Duramax consumables in the SYNC.

I would buy my PowerMax 85 again right now if I needed it.
itā€™s worth every cent.

2 Likes