RAZORCUT45 Misfire Issue - RAZORWELD TECH BULLETIN 9/23/2020

Wow!!! This is one of the most dissapointing things I have read on this forum so far. I pulled the trigger on my machine in july for a project I had in september, but it was mid november before I got it and missed the window - so, it is still all sitting new in boxes. I pulled the razorweld 45 out and used it manually and it needs this mod, I presume, from its behavior. I was just about to send it to them but not with that. I have had faith that this forum is the vocal minority on the problems, and assume many packages are going good. But, when it comes to software or electronics, I feel like I am a black cloud test spot! Sounds like going to someone local and competent is the best way to go here for the mod in order to not have a paperweight. Good luck.

Kyle

1 Like

The INCREDIBLE IRONY of getting a forum error while attempting to post this reply demonstrates my point! You canā€™t make this stuff upā€¦

My unit has this same botched factory repair! Super lame!

2 Likes

And now after Iā€™ve reworked their rework, Iā€™ve actually got resistance between those pads instead of a dead short.

With the RTV (handy left-over from water table build) blob for good measure to avoid vibration fatigue on those tiny-leg wires.

3 Likes

UPDATE: 9 Days and probably 1000 pierces later, not a single misfire. BTW I also bumped up the internal air pressure reg while I was in there, as is discussed in various locations.

3 Likes

What did you bump your internal air pressure to?

I bumped it show 70psi while the air is flowing. So, powered up, with the ā€œgas checkā€ button on.

i am getting ready to order the whole setup. Since I will be ordering months after this tech bulletin, will teh machine I get already have this mod? if not when I order, can I ask t have it done, before the cutter is shipped to me, so i donā€™t have to send it right back?

Everything we ship now has been fixed as per the bulletin.

Iā€™ve had almost zero misfires since completing this mod and I think the few misfires I have had were due to pushing the consumables too far. So thatā€™s great news!

Is Langmuir making the pictured mods or is that Razorweld? Whoever it is needs to step up and at least put surface mount resistor on there. Incredible!

When we identified the issue and worked with Razorweld to develop a solution there was a large batch of plasma cutters in our factory that were recently delivered. Razorweld sent techs to our factory and performed the bulletin repair on all of them. Every order of plasma cutters after that we received were manufactured with the permanent design change. I havenā€™t looked at one of the new boards myself, but Iā€™m sure it has SMT components.

Thanks for the transparency much appreciated. When I emailed with Razorweld back in October 2020 they said the resistor modification was an upgrade and there was ā€œno other board or indicationā€. Maybe thatā€™s not accurate anymore but surely itā€™s worth opening and checking? If not by someone from Langmuir maybe someone on the forum would be willing to open up their newer plasma and see whatā€™s on the board.

I think you need to check out the Razorwelds you had Razorweld techs ā€œrepairā€ before you send them out. The one I got had the said ā€œrepairā€ but still had the missfire issue. Opened it up and found that the resistor had a dead short between the legs. Based on other posts here this isnā€™t an isolated problem with my ā€œrepairā€. I know you just distribute the Razorwelds but when you advertise them as already set up to use with the Crossfire Pro we feel that you are giving them your seal of approval. When you ruin over $100 worth of metal due to missfires it kind of leaves a bad taste for your ā€œproductsā€ even if you didnā€™t make the cutter itself. Very glad I bought the table but wish I had gone with something else on the cutter. Maybe you should be recommending other easy to connect cutter options instead.

2 Likes

I just received my new razerweld cut 45 and was using some of the ready to cut items in the share My cutter fires at first but some where in the middle of cut it just blows air and then fires again some place else leaving uncut areas of the design. I am assuming this is the bug/defect in the cut 45. I would make a suggestion to Langmuir if we know this bug exists you should have some type of warning to those buying the razor cut 45 that there could be a need to send it back due to the issue or a manual repair with a link to the bulletin. At least people could know before they buy. Also resistors are cheap and it appears this issue happens very often So razor Weld should buy a ton of resistors and ship them with their machine. To be used if needed. Just my two cents.

1 Like

If you received a plasma cutter from us, the repair has already been made on yours. There are other reasons that you can get the behavior you are experiencing, the most common being a worn electrode.

1 Like

So I pulled the cover and I see the Capacitor is gone but the resister looks factory. So I am confused.
The misfires happened on the second cut test First cut was a very small tractor from the share list. Cut fine. Then I tried to cut a larger ready to cut item from share. The misfires happens about the 5th position but with two tries to rule out a design flaw it misfired at a different location. The consumables were brand new out of the box. I tried a new ready to cut share file and the same thing happened. I then went back and cut the small tractor again which only has about 4 fires for the entire piece. So brand new consumables. Fires fine on the first 4 or 5 positions then doesnā€™t fire. I see the capacitor is removed but the resistor in the bulletin is what looks like a factory soldered resistor. So what am I missing? There is no replacement resistor. So should I add the resistor?

Up the air pressure to 75/80 and give it a little more delay time this may help.

Nope set air to 80 and now its even worse. It fires then stops only air moves to a new position fires only long enough to pierce a hole then off and only air.

Its very odd the small tractor that was cutting fine is now also having issues had a no fire on one feature but then fired and ran through the rest of the pattern.

I tried another ready to cut without IHS and a delay of 1.5 seconds. 100 inches per second. Same results. Fires then shuts off then moves to another position fires shuts off all but air that is. watched the plasma cutter and not temp light all lights appear to be is normal setting. also on manual it fires and shuts off 2 times in a row. the third time it fired and stayed on for a straight cut for about 14 inches and shut off.