Random misfire with Hyp xp45 torch

So, what is the pressure differential between the gauge at your air source (compressor or regulator) and the one that is tee’d on your Powermax inlet fitting? Very critical to know and monitor these two pressures, and I strongly suspect will help you troubleshoot next time you get a misfire. Some error codes (air pressure as an example) will clear themselves, other codes will inhibit refiring until you recycle power…this is dependant on the side effects that this particular code may have (just like a check engine light on most cars today). Having to “tap” on the torch tells me stuck electrode which could be worn electrode, a worn swirl ring, crud in the air (which affects the electrical connection between electrode and nozzle that ionizes the air), aftermarket consumables, overtightened retaining cap. Likely the misfiring will return if you don’t figure out what caused it! Jim Colt

1 Like

I can surely bet air pressure isn’t my issue. I don’t know what it is at the actual cap but I do watch it on the gauge and its consistent. Again, zero issues when using fine tip consumables, cutting ten sheets in a row. I only use Hyp consumables. I still usually just conclude that somehow something is flying up into the shield and clogging it. Last time I got an error, machine threw the consumable code. All I do is restart the program and it will start, don’t have to shut plasma off or anything. I do tap the torch just to get any dirt outta there. I try not to over tighten it and this happens with fairy new consumables. So I am really just at odds with it. Its just sad I can’t figure it out and surely don’t want to cut anything larger than a 12x24 sheet bc I run the risk of ruining material. thats why I posted this to see if anyone had these issues. For me its just sporadic. How often do you change a swirl ring? I been using same one for months.

If you pierce too close to the material…then you will get molten metal between the shield and the nozzle. This affects cut quality, shortens consumable life and can cause error codes. If you look at the cut charts in the Powermaxmax manuals you will see there is a pierce height and pierce delay time. Most cnc plasma machines locate the surface, retract to pierce height, pierce (no x-y or z axis movement), when the pierce delay times out the torch indexes down to the cut height, then z and y motion starts. The pierce height and delay protects the consumables from the molten metal blowback from piercing, the cut height produces the best cut quality. Height control is necessary for best consumable life and cut quality. I suggest on machines like yours that you set the torch to pierce height, do all of the pierces, then rest the torch to cut height and start on the prepierced holes and finish the cutting job at the correct cut height. Someday I’m sure there will be an upgrade with a functional height control! I’m not sure what “pressure” gauge you are watching. There is a digital “cut pressure” readout that you can watch. When I am talking pressure I refer to the inlet pressure…which would require that you mounted a gauge at the rear panel. The pressure here, when air is flowing at the torch is called dynamic pressure…….it will read considerably lower than the gauge back at your compressor or regulator due to restrictions in your plumbing. Long lengths of hose, smaller than 3/8" id, every fitting, every filter, every moisture trap will drop pressure when air flows at the torch. It is very common to see a 7 to 15 psi drop between your air source and the inlet pressure gauge, when air is flowing at the torch. So…if there is a 5 psi drop and the low pressure of the compressor cycle is 90 psi (as many compressors are) then you will see 85 psi at the inlet. The plasma will not allow cutting and will throw one of a few different error codes. Betting you have enough pressure doesn’t help troubleshoot the issue. Installing a gauge right on the inlet fitting (gauges are about $5) will help solve what could be your issue. Trust me…I worked for Hypertherm for 41 years…by far the biggest issue reported to tech service over those years is with inlet air pressure. Not many believe it until the gauge at the inlet proves the issue. Jim Colt

FYI,

I had 158 pieces of 10 gauge steel to cut yesterday on my home shop machine. I used 4 , 4 x 8 sheets of hot rolled 10 gauge, Finecut consumables and a Powermax45XP. 12,800 inches of cut, and 158 pierces (1 pierce per part) I was done in an hour and a half. Cleaned the parts up as the machine cut full sheets without any intervention from me. No collisions, no misfires. The Finecut consumables were used when I put them in (maybe 700 to 800 starts on them). The height control auto set pierce height, indexed to cut height and maintained cut height using arc voltage feedback. Inlet pressure (gauge at the inlet) remained at between 105 and 110 psi. Working the way it is supposed to! Invoice to the customer was $1,050.00, material cost was $360. Jim Colt

1 Like

So I am sitting here in my shop waiting on UPS to deliver my 45xp. I don’t have a THC, am I to be concerned on cut quality with my crossfire table?

There is. The Crossfire Pro will start deliveries in January.

The THC that’s going to be on the Pro will be offered as an upgrade to the existing gen 1 Crossfire tables.

Spot on. “I don’t know what’s wrong but I know it’s not what you’re telling me it is” - classic support call :yum:

Nah. Consumable life is shorter but it’s not catastrophic. Lots of us using Hypertherm cutters now without THC. With THC they last amazingly long, without it they just last a long time.

1 Like
  1. The surface sensing and retract to pierce height, then index to cut height is good for piercing. A true THC (which stands for torch height control) monitors the arc voltage (arc length at a fixed set of cut speed , amperage parameters) controls real time cutting height. To maintain consistent cut quality in terms of dross and edge angularity a plasma torch needs to stay at the correct physical cut height continuously through the cut. This height needs to be controlled withing plus or minus about .005" while cutting. There is not a piece of metal or a slat bed on the planet that is that accurate, then add in the thermal effects (warpage from induced heat) on the material and you quickly realize the need for arc voltage based height control. CNC / Plasma machines used for production cutting have used arc voltage feedback height control for the last 4 decades…for best performance it is necessary! Jim Colt
2 Likes

The Hypertherm shielded , conical flow technology is pretty forgiving, and will provide better cut quality and consumable life even without perfect torch to work distance than other, non shielded torch technology. You will be happy with the 45xp from Hypertherm. Jim Colt

Yah I obviously don’t have the THC yet. I have 50 ft of hose then filter, 25ft hose to my filter regulator, another 25ft hose to machine. The regulated pressure is 120psi and drops 110 when machine cycles, goes back up to 120 psi. (this after this gauge is 25ft of hose, so there would be some drop, not much). I don’t see how it can cut 10 sheets with fine cut consumables, same settings, very similar programs, then cut using regular consumables for about 5 sheets with no problems, then all the sudden its an air issue. I will check the low pressure on the compressor. Maybe I’m wrong but I’ll keep an eye on it. As Iv said I have over 100 pierces per program. The machine 99% of time faults on the inside cuts which are the circles. I use the thicker spacer on everything I cut. I think its 1/8". Pierce delay is rec .5 by hyp for both 11g and 3/16. Its a 60g compressor so if that is not going to handle 12x24 sheets with 100 pierces and 390in of cut than jeesh.

I use the thin spacer (.06 or 1/16) as recommended in the manual’s cutting charts.

Your issue sounds different though since it works & works until it doesn’t. Duty cycle issue?

directioneast. Sorry…just my nature after working for 41 years (for Hypertherm) troubleshooting every type of plasma issue imagineable. To determine the root cause of issues a systematic troubleshooting procedure is necessary, however I understand that you are not interested in that kind of help! Until a gauge is hard plumbed to the inlet…you will not know what the pressure drop in your air system is…and your symptoms definitely lead me to that as one of the directions to look to solve the problem. One piece of advice…The Hypertherm manual recommends 3/8" id hose, no more than 50’ long…you have 75 feet, though I do not know the ID, and you cannot measure inlet pressure. If you continue to have issues I suggest working with Hypertherm tech service ( technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 . I’ll be happy to work with you directly as well . Best regards, Jim Colt

2 Likes

Hi Jim, I understand these explanations. I am happy with my current Hypertherm 65 with hand torch on my XL. Budget wise, to have access to the listed avantages here… I perceive I would need to add to my Pro table order : minitorch ( 059482 - 550$) , THC (400$) , CPC port - not on my 65 ( 228697 - 115$), Langmuir machine torch holder (50$) = 1115$ . I am right? Did I forget something? I am on the edge to pull the trigger. I thought about calling Hypertherm support but I expect they would not be knowledgeable about Langmuir as much as you are. Thank you.

Marc

the thin spacer for me isn’t ideal bc of my material usually. I couldn’t imagine it being duty cycle. The xp45 is a beast. Im doing about 100 pierces and 400 inches of cut usually. Again its only on the small circles usually which are the first portion of my cuts, its not on the outside cuts ever. Its usually more when the machine is cutting a small circle, then moves onto the next small circle an inch from each other. Often times it will cut 5 of the circles back to back to back, so that is when I notice it more than usual. Its really got me bc I used the xp30 for quite a few months and didn’t really have this problem, if I did it was usually a consumable issue.

No worries, I don’t mean to sound like a know it all or being ungrateful here. I just don’t understand the inconsistency. I run 3/8 id hose. I run 75 ft to help cool the air. I get alot of moisture in my traps already. I’m really not a fan at all of the dewal 60g compressor. I have an 80g IR at my other garage, I like that much better. The dewalt is loud, runs longer and the tank is hot, seems like I have to drain my traps much more. I’ll grab some pics or video of it running and see if I can post them up. I appreciate your time. Is there a chart or rough idea on what the consumables life span is? I know it will vary but it seems like I should be getting alot more life outta my consumables. They hardly look worn when I change them. Can you post a picture of how you have your gauge setup? You are talking about having a gauge right at the back of the machine?

Gauge on rear panel of my Powermax85. I have a similar gauge 50’ away on my compressor. When air is not flowing at the torch both gauges read the exact same pressure, when air flow starts the one at the compressor drops about 2 to 3 psi, the one at the inlet fitting drops 7 to 9 psi. So just a 50’ hose with 3/8 ID, no filters, traps, etc. drops 7 to 9 psi when air is flowing. So think about it…most compressors cycle from 90 (motor activates) psi and shut off at 120 psi…….this means at the low point of the compressor cycle the inlet air at the plasma…when air is flowing, will be 90 psi minus 7 to 9 psi…so 81 to 83psi. When inlet pressure gets below 90 psi the plasma will misfire and show error codes. The Finecut consumables (by nature) are touchy compared to the 45 amp shielded consumables, so they will show the symptoms first. If you have a filter, and or a moisture trap…expect even more pressure drop. On my home system I had to adjust the compressor pressure switch to activate at 100psi to overcome the pressure drop through the plumbing. My compressor is 7.5 HP, 80 gallon tank and flows 21 CFM @ 90 psi. You can have a 100 hp compressor with a 1000 gallon tank…the air pressure drop will do the exact same thing if you use the same method of plumbing. Jim Colt

2 Likes

I’ll get a gauge on it. I checked a few things today, bumped up my regulated pressure to 125, it would cycle down to about 120 (then 50ft hose to machine) so lets say around 113 at machine. My compressor kicks on at 120 and off at 150. When compressor was running I watched my regulated gauge and it never even came close to 100 psi. I firmly believe I’m not dropping near 85psi. I had the issue happen today. Cut some 1/4" plate, each program was about 4min. Went to my 3/16 material and surely got a misfire. checked my off contact, could barely not get the thick shim in there. I had a brand new shield. Consumables were not that old. Ground was same on everything. I went over and the consumable light was flashing this time (I’v noticed it stay constant bf) so I just restarted program and it fired right back up. Again the machine will blow air, just no fire. It was on inside cuts as always, never have the issue on outside cuts. I have some pics and video I need to upload.

I have just recently purchased a Hypertherm 45 XP to replace the Max 30 I had been using. The link at the bottom of this message will take you to a video showing the 45 XP cutting some 3/16" plate and the arc stopping during the cut. I have a pressure gauge at the inlet to the 45 XP (Thanks to Jim Colt for that suggestion) and I did not hear the compressor switch on when cutting this group of parts. Pressure at the inlet is 95 psi dropping to the high 80’s when the compressor switches on. I have adjusted the pressure switch since then to increase both shut off and restart pressures. The standard consumables are in place and I had cut some 14 gauge mild steel just before this cut with no problems.

Any ideas of what may have caused the arc stop at 14 seconds in the video?

Can’t tell from here very easily but, it looks like both “failures” happen at the same point along the X-axis… Coincidence ? I don’t know the answer for sure but, this is the first thing I noticed…

First off, check your ground. 2. you aren’t even piercing through the material. So check your pierce delay and speed. I cut 3/16 at about 82 IMP. Also your tip seems a little close to the material. I run over 100psi also.

1 Like

I think the material isn’t grounded either. you’re asking about the arc stopping during the cut but in the video it doesn’t look like ti cut at all