Progressive cutting depth failure (Solved)

Any time you see a green arc, that means you are burning copper which means the consumables are very bad.

Air to the plasma cutter should be 120 psi and the plasma cutter should be set at 70 to 75 psi when cutting. The Razorweld 45 need that much air to work properly.

2 Likes

Sorry… still have Christmas on the mind I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Perfect all!!! I have ordered the filters and the new electrodes and nozzles are on the way. Florida is way too wet for sure.

Looks to me like the telltale signs of incorrect voltage readings. The torch is raising as it cuts, and only cuts the corners because it slows down enough to penetrate.

What’s your love voltage reading and check your torch to workpiece distance in the middle of one of the straight runs.

Brownfox,
Pardon my limited knowledge… I’m not sure how to check voltage. I had the amp set for 40. And the Torch height control and “smart voltage” was selected.

Actually, that was a mistake in resetting the origin in my frustration.

No problem. Run a cut and watch the live voltage numbers on fire control.

What numbers for the “live voltage” should I be looking for?

Just run a cut and tell us what your voltage readings are. I don’t know what numbers the razorweld will put up. If it’s under 75 there is probably a problem. I would expect it to be 120 and up. Pause in the middle of the cut and measure torch height.

Why are you cutting 1/4 inch at 40 amps? Your cutter goes to 45, that’s where you should be at and then adjust the speed from there.

Quite honestly, you need to read some manuals and documentation Langmuir and take a good hard look at the firecontrol interface. Live Voltage is a box in the user interface.

1 Like

Green arc, only able to cut all the way through when it slows, cut seems to get even worse as amperage goes up, if we ever see that nozzle my money is on in the fact that it is completely worn out. Raising the amperage with a worn or iffy nozzle goes ahead and blows it out fully in my experience. Sounds like that’s what happened here. Makes a good nozzle for gouging welds but useless for cutting.

Green arc most of the time comes from the electrode, but can from the cutting tip if its shorting out and burning/melting.

3 Likes

I finally was able to get back in the shop. The following is the breakdown of the changes I made.

1. Descant driers at the air hose and on the plasma cutter.
  2. New consumables
  3. Adjusted the machine to 45 amps

I have good results. Everything is cutting as it should again. The live voltage fluctuates between 106 and 120. I have the “smart” setting on.

2 Likes