Problem with THC not workin (SOLVED -broken wire)

Have you eliminated the ground plug on your PC? A ground loop from your plasma can go through your breaker box back to your PC. That can freeze up fire control. I had seen you was ask but may have overlooked the response.

3 Likes

I thought he said it was isolated way back in the beginning

@bigjeff

Did you take the suggestion to rewire your raw voltage connections from the CPC port on the back of the everlast to the terminals inside the unit?

What error message does Firecontrol throw?

What other peripherals do you have attached to your computer? I had issues once where I had grounding to the USB coming through my touch screen monitor.

Electronics engineering school would likely give you more insight.

How far do you make it through the troubleshooting flow chart? Where do you end up?

3 Likes

I seen a dedicated circuit not a dedicated earth ground. The plasma and computer would have to be on separate ones.

1 Like

I saw this and was thinking he was isolated from his ground. But I see now he is still grounded, just isolated from his normal building ground.

1 Like

May not be the problem I seen several with the same problemā€¦

I had ro isolate my computer myself. Been planning when I get time I am going to tie a plug in into my powder coating earth ground.

1 Like

Yes, but all his circuits are tied together via his isolated ground. If any component is touching or connected in some way, this will [could create a ground loop]. He said he has this, so I hope he posts his resolution. Just a note: local electric codes only care about the grounding of the circuits. There is no design implemented for EMI. They could care less. Just safety thatā€™s all they are concerned with. And I do have 40 years of union electrician experience.

5 Likes

So let me get this straight you started as a Electrician as a baby? :rofl:

1 Like

No, but I am 68 years old. But I feel 65. :rofl:

4 Likes

I think the line is ā€¦I still feel 25ā€¦ most of the time. :wink:

1 Like

So what you are saying is I should disconnect all grounds from both of my panels because some how ground loop is coming back from the power company to my table? If there were a ground loop it would be coming from the crossfire table. If you read my post you would see that my pc is on a different system and different ground from the table. I could disconnect the USb cable that would be the only way the 2 are connected then how do I work the table. I really donā€™t think itā€™s emi because with nothing on except the pc and table what could it be? What is being said is you can not use these machines unless your in some special room that has a wired cage around it like we used to install in MRI rooms. That kind of defeats the use. Do all of you have completely EMI free zones you run in? I realize you are all trying to help but this grounding thing has gotten out of control. When I get it figured out I will post it. I some one wishes to come and prove the crossfire system is golden and my wiring system is at fault you are welcome.
Thank you

What Iā€™m saying is if anything is connected via your ground system the plasma arc will affect controllers. Langmuir design isolated the controlbox from the table for that reason. If a usb or internal computer ground is allowing emi.
I can tell you got this. Good luck in your endeavors. By the way the ground loop is from the table to your computer. The power company has zero to do with this.

4 Likes

All we are saying is if your computer and plasma cutter share the same earth ground there is a chance for a ground loop.
A easy quick test is to install fire control on a laptop run it on a battery not plugged in. Also make sure USB cable is not touching the frame of the table.

4 Likes

Nobody is suggesting you have wired anything wrong, nobody is questioning your ability or your experience and nobody is suggesting you setup a faraday cage. You will notice others who have commented giving you suggestions have mentioned having had a problem with EMI at one point. I experienced symptoms similar to the ones you are. In my case adding a couple of loops and an additional ferrite choke to the control box end of the USB cable did the trickā€¦ for others adding a a USB isolater did itā€¦ others reported success using a ground adapter or using a laptop on battery power. It doesnā€™t happen to everyone but it does happen. Nobody has said 100% itā€™s EMIā€¦ just that it could be and there are simple cheap ways test resolve it. You might be right about it being a problem with the control box. That has happened before tooā€¦ but most of the time it has been EMI. We canā€™t ship you a new control box but we can help you solve EMI.

For what itā€™s worth Langmuir will probably ask you to try all those same things before sending a new control boxā€¦ they will even ship you a usb isolater for free.

You definitely have more knowledge about wiring and electronics then I do so consider the sourceā€¦ but I was able to solve my problems by listening and following the advice of members here on the forum.

Stick with it you will definitely get through this and it will be worth it!

Good luckā€¦ looking forward to see what you create with your table!

Best, Erik

5 Likes

Thank you every one for your input. I guarantee the ground loop theory is not the problem or EMI. Letā€™s put that to rest. Computer and machine are only connected by the usb cable that does have ferrite on both ends. The grounds are connected to the earth Iā€™ll give you that. We will have to go to Nicklaus Tesla theory to resolve that. I had to push that aside today to work on a friends 1928 Model A woody to get it ready for a drive from Idaho the Key West and back. I will get back on the problem soon. I promise I will post the solution when I find the issue. I still think it is in the circuitry.

3 Likes

GREAT MOMENT IN HISTORY!
I finally got it figured out. Hereā€™s what I did. I took every thing apart tested every cable the circuit board. Uninstalled the software wiped it from the registry, reinstalled every thing. Found the Z axis cable had a bad spot in the wire that was intermittent. I had tested it before and it was good, but when it moved a certain way it would break the connection. Soldered it back together and presto every thing was golden. Ran a couple of test cut work perfectly.
Thanks every one

5 Likes

I am marking this as ā€œSOLVEDā€ and we are all very grateful of this outcome.

Thank you for doing all that you did to solve this. And thanks for putting up with each of us with our various ways of helping. AND a big thanks for coming back and telling us of the outcome.

1 Like

Had it been pinched or cut somehow? or was there just a break in it?