Prime weld cut 60 wiring questions using divided voltage

Primeweld Cut 60 V3 using CNC port for divided voltage. I already know everyone’s feelings on using raw instead. I would rather do it this way first.

Here is what I found and think can be causing an issue. Waiting for them to answer back my ticket. Not all my stuff is here so I’m just getting electronics done.

Here is what I’m finding. (See picture

The small power barrel adapter we get with the crossfire and divider module the red wire rings to the outside of the barrel connector. The black wire rings to the inside of the barrel connector. At the crossfire electronics box the ground is the outside of the exposed barrel. So it would be backwards if you use red as positive on machine?

. I’m wondering if this is why some say they are still having issues using divided voltage on primeweld cut 60?

Here is a picture to better illustrate what I’m talking about.

red and black do not correspond to +/- in this instance. Red wire actually goes to the work clamp (ground clamp as some people refer to it) and black wire to torch side.

so on the cnc port, the red goes to pin 4 and black to pin 6.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply !!

The reason why people say to go raw has nothing to do with the polarity.

It is due to voltage spikes that occur and burn out the circuit in the VIM.

I’m one of those that experienced this firsthand.

Just go raw, literally takes 10 minutes.

4 Likes

I agree. Just wire it to raw voltage. Trust us. We have seen this way too many times.

1 Like

I ran divided voltage for a long time from my Gen 2 without issues, but ended up switching to raw to try and troubleshoot problems with cutting thick material. In my particular case it made no difference, but I’d also recommend people connect to raw voltage as long as it doesn’t void the warranty.

1 Like

I drilled a big hole in the back of my plasma cutter.

Posted it in the PrimeWeld Facebook group.

Even the mods (owners of PrimeWeld) ‘liked’ it so fair to say I’m good.

1 Like

I promise!!! if I have any issue I will ditch using the 50:1. And wire it raw. I just need to see it give me a problem first. Trying to give prime benefit of the doubt saying they fixed the problem. Got to give them the chance.

I got the table assembled last night. So that’s exciting. Set up the limit. Switches. And making table adjustments. I wanted to try to connect the plasma up to it today but saw what might be an issue with Z axis.

Started with a loose wire in the worst possible location. I was able to tighten it decently. But then I noticed a small dinky spring that looked bent out of shape and broken plastic on the end?

I had to make a support ticket. So I really wanted to try out the plasma table today but better not. But the limit switches and gantry leveling is good.

“Fixed the problem”

Unsure what you mean by that. The voltage spike via DIVIDED still occurs on the latest manufactured models. It’s why Arcdroid and Langmuir removed them from the “supported” list

You might be confusing the old issue (of interference) as that’s the only issue that was ever present in older CUT60 models.

In general, the voltage fluctuates enough. So even if you don’t experience any sort of spike which results in damage of your VIM, you could end up with a little frustration and loss of metal.

Ever since going RAW, my cuts have always been consistent and I’ve never burned another VIM out.

2 Likes

As far as I’m concerned they have not been removed from Langmuir approved list. List was checked before I purchased the plasma.
So Please read again.

Secondly saying raw voltage doesn’t cause spikes yet divided would cause this “spike” Just doesn’t make sense electrically. You would see far greater spikes using raw.
A voltage divider is used in just about everything. They’re not new and not complicated circuit.

Let’s just leave voltage divider out of these conversations. I will worry about that part.

But like I said. First time I have issues with cuts 10 min I’ll switch to raw. I get it. But rite now I got issues with table that’s causing frustration. Bent Y screw. And something not looking rite in the Z axis/thc. I only hooked up the plasma to test torch fire and that voltage off the machine. Haven’t did anything else with cutter.

To leave “divided voltage” out of the conversation, when the title is clearly labeled divided voltage, is…ironic?

The “PSA” you screenshotted is the very item I stated as old news, and I touched on that before you even mentioned it.

Yes, divided voltage is nothing new. It isn’t complicated. Yet, somehow it still happens and happened literally 2-3 days ago to someone else again. It keeps happening, and it will continue to happen.

The only thing you’ve shed light on is the fact that Langmuir listed it again but before this thread ever came up, it had actually been removed.

Run a line-voltage monitor (to ensure the variable isn’t the power coming into your house itself) while watching your live voltage as you cut.

Anyway, my point wasn’t about forcing you to go RAW. My point was that the issue still exists, and making you aware of it. You come to this forum for information, and when it’s provided you shine it off like we don’t know what we’re talking about.

Good day.

4 Likes

I apologize if my frustration is starting to show. I appreciate all info I can get. The divided volts is about all I do understand about this whole CNC deal.
I’m working with other issues like a bent Y axis screw, If that’s what they’re called. And this broken piece of plastic and dinky spring on THC Z axis module.
Will I end up using raw (most likely) not happy about work arounds since like I said it was listed as compatible with benefits of CNC port.

I messaged primeweld tonight I want more information on this issue. Or they can have it back. Same with the table. Hopefully not going to have to jump through hoops. Haven’t even made a cut yet.

Again, apologies about the frustration in last reply.

1 Like

That’s understandable if you keep the viewpoint that the ‘work around’ is dealing with a flaw in the Plasma Cutter equipment. I don’t think that is the case. However, to work with THIS particular control system, it seems to be necessary, or, at least, useful. Accept that and you can move on to real problems, like ‘bent screws’. That seems to be more of a problem that does need and can be addressed.

2 Likes

to add my 2 cents and put this into perspective, the Everlast cutters are also cnc compatible with the Langmuir tables BUT even they suggest wiring their cutters up to raw voltage from the inside due to their cnc port divided voltage circuitry not playing nice. not sure if it’s only with the Langmuir tables or not.

100’s of Langmuir users also use the Everlast cutters and i would say 99% of them are connected to RAW voltage.

2 Likes

I pretty much quit reading your post here. You obviously have studied this out and understand the risk you are taking relying on the PW voltage divider, that has had documented issues. As others have attempted to reinforce you are risking damaging the VIM box and your control board. There are many people, myself included that have made the same choice and been down this road before. I originally wired mine through the divide voltage from the CNC port… BUT it seemed like there was somebody here every week who had a problem. I called Primeweld, they assured me there was maybe a handful of machines that had this issue and that if I had an issue they would take care of it. I still felt like I was playing Russian roulette so I switched it, and have never looked back. I have full confidence that Primeweld will take care of you if you have an issue… but at what cost to the table? There are probably allot of guys running divided voltage that haven’t and won’t have any trouble…. You are the only one who can decide if it’s worth the risk to you.

For what it’s worth PW isn’t the only company that has issues with voltage dividers. I would say most budget friendly models share the same “flaw” as it relates to the Langmuir control board and voltage divider.

I will say this, If you consider wiring to raw voltage jumping through hoops you have allot of hoop jumping ahead of you. Though you spent allot of hard earned money on this system, you bought a budget friendly cutter and paired it with a budget friendly table. Even if you spent 4x what you did you would still have some “hoops” to jump through.

Good luck and happy cutting. I’m sure Langmuir will be prompt taking care of you with your other issues with the lead screw and the z axis.

6 Likes

Alright. If prime weld says no worries to warranty I’ll do it. But it will need to to fused or else I won’t sleep at night. I would image it’s current draw is low maybe 1amp or less. Langmuir should know the answer to that. A fuse will give me piece of mind that if one component fails or a wire goes bad, I don’t loose them all.

If you wire it raw, the pigtails will have DC voltage. I have never heard of anybody using a fuse, but I can’t see what it would hurt. Remember that the work clamp is the red wire+, and the torch is the neg. Typically, the output is 150 to 400 VDC.

5 Likes

Prime got back to me already. About 7:30am est. there customer service is no joke. Yeah no warranty issues going that route. I’ll get it hooked up for raw. But with a fuse. Thanks all.

What size and type of fuse are you going to use?

Where would you install it ? On the black or red wire?

On a factory raw voltage connector most manufacturers put in a 100k Ohm resistor in series with those connections to limit the amount of amperage in the circuit. I assume the voltage input module also has these 100K ohm resistors to limit current flow.

There is a picture of the inside of langmuir’s vim floating around somewhere on the Forum here it would be interesting to see what’s in there.

2 Likes