Powder coating thread

Since being on here for a year or so now, I have noticed there are a bit of people who powder coat/ or are interested in powder coating. So I thought it may be a good idea to post some of our coated projects and help others who may want to add this hobby to their collection. I will start with some of my recently coated parts. My setup is a Redline ez50 gun, home made spray booth and just a typical sized house oven.

5 Likes

1 Like

Awsome work. If i ever get my shop done , powder coating will be in my future.

1 Like

Same here. Very interested in seeing what others are doing with powder coating… Would love to get into that down the road… Very inspiring stuff!!

2 Likes

I’ll have to do some digging through my phone and see if I have more pictures…I’m really bad about remembering to take them.

Did a set of motorcycle wheels recently and powdercoated the first sign I ever designed/cut on my crossfire

3 Likes

Ran into too much other work recently but I will be powder coating soon too, some of my parts are too big for an oven though so I’m making a pass through cabinet oven to do it. Can You show your powder equipment? And how much space you dedicate to putting the powder on?

I had to do plating too so ive set up to do nickel plating and that seems to be working well even though I’ve only done a few parts. They are smaller parts so it was easier than setting up for powder coating.

1 Like

Nice work. I’ve got the Harbor Freight gun, homemade booth and a vertical electric smoker I bought for this. I wrapped a set of chrome wire racks (30"x18"x72" I think) with canvas for my booth. That keeps overspray mess to a minimum.

The oven operates on 120V and can hit the 400F max I need for my powders but I wrapped it in fiberglass insulation batts. I can put the shelves in but I also drilled through the top and put in an eyebolt so I can hang parts in there. The interior is 3ft x 2ft+ by 20" deep.

I have a modded out HF blasting cabinet so I can sandblast, spray and melt all in my version of the kitchen magic triangle :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I understand the use for sandblasting or something like it… Is it a “gotta-have” part of the process? Again, I know nothing about this so, just trying to learn.

1 Like

Anything that gets you bare metal to put a finish on. Sand blasting is particularly good at striping old finish off. If you only use new material you would only need sand blasting to add a certain texture to the surface before finish.

1 Like

Sand blasting is definitely the best method as it does a great job of removing contamination and provide you with a even coating surface. Plus if your doing a part with tight corners, sand blasting is much easier to get those tight corners rather then sanding by hand

Man I never want to do wheels, I’m to worried of messing up and having to strip an entire wheel lol to much work

2 Likes

I always blast - grinding off mill scale is a PITA (although it dissolves in cider vinegar overnight).

1 Like

I’ve been using vinegar myself. Wash with water and it leaves a nice etch. Picking vinegar is better … 99 cents a gallon I can do quite a bit with a gallon

1 Like

White vinegar? That would be a bit cheaper but I bet it turns brown with the mill scale pretty fast :slightly_smiling_face:

How much mill scale can you dissolve in the vinegar before you put the cucumbers in?

It does but it still works

No cukes but the vinegars no good for fish n chips after either

1 Like

Sure man. Here is my diy spray booth. It’s simple to make and fairly cheap. I think I have about $200 total in it. The most expensive was the melamine wood. I went this route as it’s a smooth surface and makes vacuuming up excess powder a breeze. In the middle of the cabinet, I screwed on a wheel caster without the wheel, and hang my parts from it. This allows me to spin my part inside my booth. And there is a box fan mounted on the back side of that filter as well.

8 Likes

what does the box fan do, suck air to the outside?

1 Like

ugh, makes me wanna start doing powder coating now. thanks guys!