Powder coating thread

It sucks in excess powder when spraying, then I just clean/replace the filter when it gets to dirty

does it prevent a ton of powder from going everywhere else? what percentage would you say it captures?

the reason I ask is that I have converted my garage to my shop. It’s a two and a half car garage with two side windows. I was thinking about putting a box fan in the window with the same setup, but all of my other equipment is in the garage/shop as well (plasma, tip, mig, compressor, etc).

1 Like

another quick question, would my house oven be enough to bake the coating?

1 Like

My fan is backed up against my wall so it’s doesnt go out a vent or window or anything. I would definitely say I would not powder coat without a spray booth at least. Powder will be everywhere. You spray at low psi but if you are doing bigger parts it can still tend to get everywhere.

1 Like

I used to powdercoat without a booth and it really did get everywhere. Small parts werent bad, but big parts it was everywhere.

My setup takes up alot of space in another locals shop. Found the booth on craigslists and built the blast cabinet and oven

2 Likes

Can you reuse the powder it collects? or is that just sort of minimal waste?

1 Like

No sir. Any little contamination in your powder or surface can and most likely will ruin the final result

2 Likes

I see. Is there a lot of waste? I mean does the side draft or a downdraft increase the amount of waste?

2 Likes

No it doesn’t at all

1 Like

Thanks… now have to move my furnace heh

been using a small eastwood oven - but- for me its time to assemble a real oven. Just find way too much use for it.

It will be - the coatings I use bake between 375 to 425. Your oven can easily do that.

But don’t! You don’t want to cook where you had powder coated parts baking. And you don’t want any grease or other contaminants in your powder oven - that will ruin your powder coated parts.

2 Likes

100% ^^^^^ absolutely do not use a oven that u will be eating out of

1 Like

Nice setup!!! What oven is that?

Here are the final results of these valve covers and upper timing cover. Goldtastic gold with clear vision from prismatic.

2 Likes

I built it out of an old industrial freezer

2 Likes

That’s a good idea! May have to look into that

thanks guys - I’m just new to all this and thanks for not making me feel like a complete idiot when I ask questions.

how much would it cost me to build an oven? I don’t need a large one, just something medium sized.

Do a search on Govdeals.com and see if you can find an old commercial oven close to you. We bought one off there and it is an old one out of a school that was being replaced, we picked it up for a hundred dollars paid an electrician fifty to wire it for single phase and have been using it every since and it has a compartment that is 242828 for cooking. Restaurant supply places may have some old ones that they will sell.
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1322&acctid=7126

Good luck

1 Like