Plate Marker attachment

Has anyone experience with plate markers and any ideas for adding one to the Crossfire? Could we swap the tool head and use the Crossfire controller to control a marker head?

2 Likes

Sounds like a great project for you to build and post about once you get your machine! :ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

It would be awesome to see plate markers with the Crossfire!

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: I thought I might end up doing that but I figured I’d check to see what others might have done or might have experience that woul avoid reinventing the wheel. I definitely want to add this capability to my toolkit and would love to be on the same platform as my cutter to minimize my footprint. Anyone else interested in this topic we can probably share our efforts.

1 Like

Funny you ask I am actually been working on making a sharpie attached to a 6v solenoid. Was planning just wiring it to a momentary switch so it’ll be down when off but I can lift it with the switch to move to the next cut without marking. Hoping to have it done by this weekend ill post pictures if I’m successful with it.

6 Likes

cool!

I’m not sure if the Crossfire controller can control the pneumatic head of a plate marker of the tat-a-tat kind. The Sharpie version is a pretty good riff on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also Might try a 15watt laser too. Wont cut metal but will engrave wood and may cut stuff like foam.

2 Likes

Wow great idea using a solenoid or similar device that could be actuated with the torch fire command line. I had been thinking about a spring loaded sharpie but the concept of having it lift also as part of the simulation.

1 Like

If you were to tie the Torch Fire line to a ssr (Solid State relay) you could run something of a much higher voltage. Like an 120V engraving tool. It might not get you as deep of a mark as a pneumatic pin setter…but might do what your looking for. Or use a gouging head for the plasma cutter?

Hmm…that’s an option. Does the Crossfire support that?

Man this is all awesome! I wanted to put and engraver on after I seen one on a Lincoln table. What are the chances that a torch height control can be added to this? I had looked at a few a little bit ago they aren’t cheap but would be fun to add later hopefully after I make a little cash.

1 Like

I got my Sharpie all hooked up it works! Just think it could be improved upon. Its only spring loaded down but man it sure slams it to the table. Heres a short video and a couple of pictures the video is sped up 2X.

8 Likes

That is incredibly cool. I could see this being useful marking bend lines and also for marking locations of mating components for welding. Bolt patterns that require drilling as well…

Do you know the offset between torch centerline and sharpie centerline?

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Does it use standard “torch on” to fire the relay?

This one I do not I just whipped this one together quickly this week on my breaks at work. I like what your thinking of the bend lines and such, it would be easy to make it so it had the same center line just have to copy the diameter of the torch.

3 Likes

No not hooked through the machine at all. Just have it hooked up to a switch for time being. Would be nice to be able to tie it into the machines relay, don’t think I’ve seen a wiring diagram for langmuirs internal computer yet. Next step is to make it a bit smoother and of course make it automatic.

1 Like

The CrossFire has a simple electromechanical relay. Should be very straightforward as long as the current doesnt exceed 1 amp (need to doublecheck that).

2 Likes

Wow this is the one good thing about being a little later on the batch you guys are doing awesome stuff thanks @bsulley22 you’re doing all the hard work.

2 Likes

@langmuir-daniel thanks you guys are great with your customer service and willingness to help with anything!

1 Like

@langmuir-daniel I know you guys have a lot on your plate right now but any plans for torch height? Or would you recommend people adding it?