Pictures to dxf?

hello all! as the title states, i am looking for a way to take a picture of something and upload it and then get a outline with maybe a few details. then convert to dxf and upload to fusion 360 , post process and cut. Is there any program like that out there? or how would i go about doing that? I have a buddy that runs a old terex ts14 scraper and i would like to cut that out and add his name to it just cuz i can, if i can figure out how to do so. any suggestions?

Search the forum for Trace Image. Youā€™ll finds LOTS of hitsā€¦

1 Like

Thank you I will look into it

inkscape is freeā€¦it does trace to bitmapā€¦then you adjust itā€¦then you post process itā€¦then you cut it

and inkscape is free

Inkscape will do it but remember that it will only do it with a bitmap image, so convert it before trying.

I recently did this with Fusion for some salmon I wanted to cut out and it worked great. Inserted a JPG as a canvas and sketched over top of it. Then exported the sketch as a DXF.

2 Likes

Yes to @bobdobqb This is definitely my preferred way of going about this.

It will give you the cleanest results.

Vectorization which is what Inkscape uses in its different forms of ā€œbitmap to traceā€ and itā€™s also what some browser base converters use ( example convertio.co ) but these will never be 100% accurate it will only be a representation of the original image and any missing or pixelated data will be interpolated or extrapolated from the existing data.

I posted a topic last year discussing the deformation of vectorization, Iā€™ll see if I can find it.

Thanks everyone. You have all been very helpful

I made a tutorial video about the most basic version of this process here.

Ill likely do another video in the future using the canvas in fusion 360 but I need to come up with a different platform for doing videos on thatā€™s longer than 5 minutes.

1 Like

Maybe this is a dumb question. What is a bitmap

The only dumb question is one that isnā€™t asked.
A bit map is a primitive type of image file where all the parts of the image are contained in a rectangular array of ā€˜pixelā€™ (image bits).

1 Like

I might be getting this wrong but supposeably jpeg is a type of bitmap image but what I was referring to is that I had to convert the jpeg image I was trying to trace to BMP format.
So when I researched a proper answer for you, I may be revealing more of what I donā€™t know.

Copied from: What is a Bitmap? | Webopedia
A bitmap is a file format or memory organization of rows and columns of bits (or pixels) that collectively display a graphical representation. Most graphic images contain thousands of bits.

TYPES OF BITMAP FILE FORMATS

• BMP: Bitmap
  • GIF: Graphics Interchange Format
  • JPEG: Joint Photographic Expert Group
  • EXIF: Exchangeable Image File
  • PNG: Portable Network Graphics
  • TIFF: Tagged Image File Format
2 Likes