Pics of concrete after long term use?

Would it be possible to see some of the machines that have been used long term?I think it would help the people who are worried about using concrete.

We had a prototype machine that we poured about 2 years ago and ran for a year pretty hard. That one didnt have epoxy on it. When that one fulfilled its purpose as a prototype for us we stripped the parts off and put the machine out in our yard. Sat outside for about 6 months until it got scrapped. The concrete base was totally fine.

Every other machine we have done since has had the epoxy treatment.

2 Likes

Having worked in aviation - I’m a bit concerned about moisture seeping into the metal base of the machine over time. Though I know the material is already pre-coated, after 4-5 years I can imagine eventually it will rust, and on an irreversible operation such as pouring concrete, I’ve come up with an idea that I’d like your opinion on.

We use a two part sealant for sealing the inside of wings for aircraft. This stuff is super resistant to literally everything (If it’ll hold up to Jet A fuel it’ll hold up to water). Do you think it’d extend the base’s life to seal the bottom prior to pouring concrete (in addition to the epoxy top)?

It does seem a bit redundant as the epoxy sealant up top will inhibit humidity and oxidization of the layers underneath, but this would be more as an extra security measure in my mind.

What are your thoughts?

a good idea but costly I would think…
By the time the concrete and possible trapped moisture causes any damage I would think the whole machine would be well past its life cycle.
think of bridges maade of steel and concrete left to the elements…they stand for 30 to 40 years…

1 Like

It’ll probably be around $150 CAD worth of materials + time, but of course the only quantity you can purchase is gallons worth so its out of reach of the majority of individuals.

And that’s really the answer I’m looking for. Obviously these machines will have a service life - and its just a curiosity thing.

The bridge comparison is a good point

1 Like

Also any coolant you use should have a additive. I use Lenox band-ade in my flood coolants. Rust shouldn’t be a problem

2 Likes

I was thinking about the same sort of thing. It wouldn’t be a problem for me, I have a heated shop. If your shop is in a unheated garage, where freezing is a possibility, moisture in the concrete from coolant may cause quite a problem. Moisture trapped between the steel and concrete or epoxy and concrete could case separation and heaving. This would have quite an effect on the position of the work surface relative to the spindle. I don’t think we would see this with epoxy-granite.

1 Like