Okay. Gotta know - router conversion?

I’m hoping maybe somebody will chime in, but I longing to see a router add-on for the Pro. Unlike the regular crossfire, with only a single support for the arm, the Pro seems made for a small spindle / palm router. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Sure would be nice not to have two large tables taking up space that basically do the same thing (albeit in different materials)…

i asked LS that question before ordering the PRO, they said the z axis isnt designed to handle the weight of a router head but they would be developing one in the future.

i am planning on putting one of those 24v DC router heads you can get on banggood.com on my Pro at some point so i can router out model boat parts for my pops. it should handle the load if you dont horse it tooo hard and use small diameter endmills.

1 Like

I think the real problem with using it as both would be leveling the wastboard everytime you wanted to switch. I also don’t see how you would be able to quickly swap between the two. Normally with the router you would have some type of dust collection system. Sounds nice in theory, but PTA in practice. I would love it if was easy.

just slide a piece of MDF over the bed when using it as a router, and get a second torch holder as the router mount. wouldnt take anytime at all to swap from the torch to a router

1 Like

Anytime is relative. More than 15 min or so to swap is a non-starter for me. Don’t know if you have ever had the chance to tram one before, but it is very time consuming if you want any type of precision. Now if you are just going to cut a large item out of plywood may not be a problem. Not sure the torch holder would be able to handle the weight and lateral forces exerted by a spindle. The smaller ones still weigh about 5 LBS with a decent size (2.2KW) weighing about 11Lbs. Not saying it can’t be done, just don’t think it would be as ron popeil says “set it forget it.” Again I would love it if it was easy.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to say it would be EASY, but for hobbyists like me, half an hour to change over - even an hour, is no big deal. Not like I’d need to go back and forth daily - or even a couple of times daily. I’ll be lucky if I use the machine (either way) once a week. And it seems like a nice thick platform would be pretty easy to level out - with a replaceable spoilboard on top - the weight is way less than a 1/4” sheet of steel. For the record, I’m not talking huge, intricately-detailed parts. I’m thinking more like v-carved signs logos, etc… Single depth “simple” designs. No Taj Mahal…

I have a spindle mounted to my pro along with a bunch of other tools…

See:

Well, just introduced by Langmuir the MR-1 cnc milling machine. Great for them and their customers. To me it is a little disappointing, as the owner of a crossfire pro, that a cnc router was not developed for the Pro as was advertised when the Pro first came out. Hopefully Langmuir can use whatever engineering was used for the MR-1, downscale it a bit and retrofit a router attachment for the Pro.

First photo the result of a big thumb. Never mind to it.