Nesting / cut paths for "precision" parts

I have a pile of parts i need to cut, (48) each of 4 parts all from 1/4" steel plate. they all need to be identical within reason. my question is , for “precision” parts is it best to cut each part individually or as a group? by individually i mean, step through each feature of one part then move to the next. by a group i mean pop all the holes for the entire sheet then cut all the outside cuts. ive already nested everything in autocad, and it would be really easy to just import the whole sheet into sheetcam vs. placing each part individually.

I’m worried about the plate shifting as it heats and cools thus throwing off the round hole locations or the hex holes in relation to the parts they are in.

I’m 98% sure i know the answer, i just need a little affirmation before I scrap a few hundred dollars in plate.

SheetCAM has a “Thermal” feature to limit the heating of the plate. Have you activated that feature? I don’t have SheetCAM so I don’t know how to do it.

I would also make sure the water bed is very full to the point of licking on the bottom of the plate.

Many times I will clamp the plate down if there is concern of movement. If that plate gets too hot, there is not enough clamp pressure to stop the movement. I have not attempted anything like this. David does a lot of thick parts and uses SheetCAM. Perhaps he will weigh-in on this topic. (@ds690).

1 Like

actually, the thermal feature only works in individual parts not a nest.

1 Like

That puts a wrinkle in it…doesn’t it! :wink:

yup often do large nest on 1/4 plate. i do them leaving a thin skeleton. it will for sure wiggle a little.

1 Like

Odd. I was cutting 2 parts yesterday, a 6 1/2 x 18 and a 7 1/4 x 18, each with about 125 internal features. Created a DXF with both parts and imported into Sheetcam. Selected auto path with “Limit thermal Distortion” and a spacing of 4 in. The created path jumped from one part to the other multiple times. (Probably to meet the 4 in rule.)

2 Likes

That is one thing that the OP (Bill) wanted to limit for fear of less accuracy with the parts. So maybe the Thermal feature (even if it were available) would not be a good solution???

1 Like

i do nests of the same part usually better than 100 at a time and it doesn’t… maybe in a new update? i have never updated sheetcam. so maybe

1 Like

firecontrol feature “patterning” is pretty handy for multiple of the same parts. You create one cutpath per part and can cut a row at a time if you wanted.

1 Like

So I am trying to see this straight in my head. If the sheet were to move a small amount would this effect the parts them selves much or more the placement of how the parts cut on the sheet?

I guess it would depend on how accurate the parts need to be, but to me it seems like maybe the error would be more in the nest then the part it self? ( does this make sense?)

I guess it depends on how much and when it moved. I would have never thought of clamping down 1/4" material seem to heavy to move.

You could always slow down your rapids to help with heat or pause part way through the cutting.

Your are corect. These parts are not critical if so I would sacrifice more material. The object is to get as many out of a sheet as possible.
Another note these parts only have 3 pierces I had set to something like 6 or 7 inches between cuts never worked but it does on artsy stuff and great. Other nests I do on 3/16 it will cut parts out individually. Just like it only works within a part.
There is actually a thread where all this was discussed in the project thread .

I honestly believe this is more stress relief in the material being released than a thermal issue. Even 1/4 plate comes in a coil

3 Likes

can you explain how you did that with 3 pierces? it looks like there is one for each part, or did I read that wrong?

Each part has 3. We at one time outsourced them they were don on a water jet with only 1 pierce. Each bolt hole had a slot to the outside contour.

1 Like

Ok now I get it I thought you were saying 3 total. I am having a hard time following along today.
I better get off here and go do something constructive!

I take it the skeleton lifting up is behind the cuts? So say it cuts a row and moves to the next, then it starts to lift?

1 Like

That is right that plate is clamped on the right hand side . I am not sure if sheet cam dismissed the thermal distortion because it is such a small part. It works for me any way so.

1 Like

I honestly believe this is more stress relief in the material being released than a thermal issue. Even 1/4 plate comes in a coil

the bowing of the sheet is another concern i have. i may have to max out my travel height. i have had the torch catch and drag a part before when doing a rapid move. if you aren’t standing there watching the hole time it can get ugly.

i’ve got a few things i need to do to the table before i attempt this project. need to check the torch alignment. i made my torch mount before i had a milling machine so it may be a little out of square.

hot rolled sheet or bar has a lot of stress in it. i machined a part out of a piece of 1" plate for a friend. i milled it down to about 3/4" then cut a dovetail in it. every time i took a pass on it with the shell mill and flipped it over it would banana by 3 or 4 thou.

2 Likes