Need help fine tuning touch probe

I have the stylus tip dialed in to a couple 10ths. I probed in X and Y, and the only part of the probe that is touching is the stylus ball, not the stem. I verified X and Y position with a wiggler. Probe reading is out by +.009 in Y, and +.0115 in X. How do I get this dialed in?

Have you set you axis travel compensation? Step 23 in the assembly guide. Might be good to double check this again with a 1 2 3 block if already done?

1 Like

You might try this:

1 Like

Here are some pictures of how it works. Loosen the top screws just a little. The side set screws will only move a 32nd or so. Move it right, loosen the left screw, and tighten the right. Get It?

The set screws push on the boss on the top plate.

2 Likes

X and Y verified to a couple of 10th’s at 12 inches. Stacked and bolted 2 - 4 - 6 blocks checked with a height gauge on a granite surface plate.

I already had the stylus tip running concentric to a couple 10th’s. I did disassemble the probe to see how it worked before I used it. Glad i did, I foound metal shavings and some long peices of bare copper floating around in there…

1 Like

I have three of them. Out of the three, only two true out. I save the other one for parts. :grin:
It is a long frustrating process to dial them in. Take a deep breath and continue on pal.

1 Like

Like I said previously, the tip is running true to couple 10th’s. Its just that the results don’t match what I got with the wiggler. Maybe I can cheat it by changing the size of the tip in the software…If I can get the repeatability down to a couple of thousands I’ll be happy enough

1 Like

Have you played with the probe settings in cut control? I’m not near my machine but I believe there are some settings that you can mess with that will change 0.

No, I have not.

Here are the settings for the Touch Probe:
I tried to adjust the “Shaft Linear Flex”, thinking that would adjust the offset error I was seeing, but that made the offset worse. I would have had to enter a negative value to eliminate the offset error, and the program would not allow a negative value. In the end, I changed the “Ball Tip Diameter”. That change brought me within .0005 of the wiggler in X and Y. I still have to test, and verify the ball tip diameter has no effect on Z probing (it shouldn’t).

1 Like

Nice glad that worked.

I have not tried with the latest software release but I found the same thing with my early testing and let Langmuir know. I believe they have the flex correction backwards. I ended up changing the ruby size like you did, but that is not ideal when working in tight places.

1 Like

I agree…that setting is backwards.