My machine gets here in march!

My garage is not wired for it. I had 220 installed for the plasma . The electrician said if I added another 220 it would max out my electric box. I am not cheaping out on a compressor !!:angry:

The energy has to come from somewhere: if your panel is overloaded it does not matter if you use 110V or 220V. You can probably just extend the outlet of the plasma to another 220V outlet; what is the wire gauge that goes from the plasma outlet to the panel? If the electrician told you that, chances are that he installed wire that is too thin. What is the breaker size the plasma outlet is connected too? Is it double tapped with your range or oven? A picture of the open panel helps (that is, with the cover removed)

6 gauge wire.

6ga copper can handle 70+ amps depending on insulation (THHN), length, etc…If you have a 50a breaker on the 6ga you should be fine running plasma and compressor on same branch circuit. They are very intermittent loads, so I’d guess you’d be well within ratings. It’s just adding another receptacle, as @manoweb suggested. I run my plasma and 5hp 60 gal compressor on same circuit without issue and both can run at same time. Exception would be if you are running a heavy duty 60-80+ amp (dc) plasma that may warrant it’s own circuit or a 6+ hp compressor that pulls over 30 amps run. That dewalt probably pulls 15-20a max.

1 Like

6AWG wire has a minimum ampacity of 55A. Size of the breaker?

Yeah I looked it up and the razor cut 45 is a 5.5kVA machine, a compressor very similar to the one discussed about as James5 says is also a similar load, all within the capabilities of a 6awg wire. In case you are paranoid, flip the range/oven/drier breakers.

Add one of these:

along with a metal box and you have your 240VAC wiring done for less than 20 bucks. It’s a pretty easy job, much, much easier than the skills required to assemble and operate the CNC table

1 Like

BTW - giving electrical wiring advice on the internet is always a crap shoot, because we have no idea what you’ve got going on other that what we’ve read and that’s not always everything that’s needed to make sound decisions, so you should always consult a professional/licensed electrician if you are not sure.

That is the outlet that I have. I am at work so I can’t take pic of box. I will have electrician look into adding another. I am a journeyman toolmaker and have limited electrical background. As far as skills running my machine, I am sure that I won’t have any trouble there.

The problem with electricians is that they will want to either upsell a new panel (thousands of dollars) or (especially regarding residential electricians) simply not understand how industrial machines operate.

This is a true story: one of my neighbors is a fantastic guy, residential electrician by trade. We really get along. One day I was talking to him about how I did my electrical and he was under the impression it just could not work. Then his son came, industrial electrician by trade, and said my setup was very well made.

George: if you contact an electrician, just tell them you want a second 240VAC outlet derived from that one and do not even tell them what you want to connect. Just let them know that it’s two 20A loads. If you have a 50A breaker in the panel, you are going to be fine. 6AWG copper wires are good for that.

Installing 220v Outlets in the Shop - Easier Than You Thought

and MANY other videos under the search “how to wire a 240v outlet” on YouTube.

1 Like

I agree 100%!..but if you are not sure what you are doing it can go spectacularly wrong…:zap::zap::zap::fire::grimacing::cry: Stay safe!

Thanks alessio

Well I ordered my machine yesterday and it’s supposed to be here in April. I started creeping on the forums here and before I did I believe my garage was completely ready to except this new machine. I was wrong. You all have made me and my 110 Air compressor feel very in adequate. So to make myself feel better I went and purchased a minion from tractor supply on sale. I now have to go through and rearrange my entire panel to run another 240 line to my garage. Can you help full folks help out a guy with understanding what size breakers I should be using for the razor weld 45 and my new minion compressor?

1 Like

A 20A circuit is sufficient for the Compressor. I can’t comment on the RazorWeld.

it should tell you in the owners manual what size is required for the cutter…

If you have some details you can provide on what you have, that would help. Welcome to the forums! If you have 50a 240v going to garage currently, you are probably ok and may just need an additional receptacle. If it’s a 30a circuit (10ga) then you’ll probably need another 30amp run. Easier to run a 50/60+ amp branch to a subpanel and split it from there.

I do not have a 50A. the outlet I run my plasma cutter and welder on is a 40A. Probably just going to run a new 30A for the new compressor.

Is there anything else besides the compressor that I should be prepared for. I want to take the time between now and April to make sure my garage ready to go so I’m not messing with my garage set up when I just want to play with the plasma cutter.

Could someone advise on what space I need? (height, width, depth) I have to reconstruct a section of shelving where the table will go and I want to make sure I have plenty of room to work without having to unnecessarily remove useful shelving. I know what the dimensions of the table are but I’m more looking for what’s kind of space I realistically need to work around the table. Maybe you guys with a small shop could help me out here.

This may help some

Floor Footprint Size and Clearance Question

2 Likes

A welder. Sooner or later you’re going to want to cut things that you then want to put together. Even if you’re just doing art projects, being able to weld hangers on the piece is super useful. I use a 220V spot welder for that. For other welding I use a TIG welder. Both use the same power outlet as the plasma.

Also an angle grinder and a supply of flap discs and even cutoff wheels will be useful. The other useful tool is an outfeed roller stand so you can support longer pieces that extend off the table.

You may have all of that already but just in case :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

a soaking tank…or a cleaning area…I have a tank filled with vinegar to soak my metal in after I cut…before I paint…removes scale…dross…and a wire brush is all that is needed after before you paint…

1 Like

James I do have that stuff. I have a beginners fabrication shop in my garage. A plasma table, tubing bender, and grub hub will ensure I never leave my garage again.

Toolboy I saw that soaking tank idea in a YouTube video and forgot about that till you mentioned it. I will definitely be doing that. Thanks.

1 Like