My feedback on the crossfire pro machine

So after getting it built with limit switches and THC, and getting sheetcam installed and learning that I’m finally cutting parts. Here’s my take:

Positives

• instructions fairly easy to follow with good photos
  • All bags marked with numbers
  • All parts grouped together (bolt bags in one bigger bag, nut bags in one larger bag)

negatives

• instructions were half imperial half metric, all hardware imperial. This was a bit confusing, and had to use logic to realize which screws were which.
  • one rail had oxidation dust inside from the slats that wouldn’t come off.
  • hole for 9/16 bolt requires thin walled socket which you may not have.
  • Recessed 1/4-20 SHCS screws that go through tube are near impossible to drive through hole unless you have a magnetic driver, or wrap a hex key with tape
  • Bag 2 calls out 3/8-16 x 1.75" when they are in fact 2-1/2" long
  • water table sealing is a joke. Ended up welding ours together, which of course warped the bed because it’s stainless. Was able to straighten it back out good enough to function but looks like crap. I get that Langmuir wants to save on shipping cost, but a single formed bed should be an option. Also wish the bed was a bit deeper in case you want to run water right up to the slats for thinner materials.
  • Drains also leaked, had to add our own better seals. Also annoying that the drain isn’t recessed, which means you can drain only about 90% of the water and have to wet vac the remaining water.
  • Why wouldn’t you drill holes in the frame to mount water table and panels? Was very awkward to clamp parts to the frame in order to pre-drill holes. I know they are supposed to be self-tapping but I wasn’t about to fight the steel with a hand drill.
  • THC wire screws loosened after a couple runs, should have lock-tighted them. Was very difficult to access, ended up pounding the rails out to pivot assembly out to access them.
  • Having zero in the back left corner while the actual zero is front left is confusing. Took me a while to figure out that the virtual zero has to be set. Would have been better to mount the y-axis switch in front.

Overall still happy with the machine at it’s price. Also bought the cable for CPC easy hookup, only one half of the cable worked (was using an old hypertherm 45 that’s discontinued), so had to manually wire in the torch fire wires. Eventually ended up buying a hypertherm45 XP and the CPC port worked fully. While I’m on a hypertherm rant, I also hate how they nickel and dime you. Spent $800 on a machine torch for the hypertherm45, then had to rebuy a new machine torch because the machine torch from the 45 is not compatible with the 45xp (seriously?). Then after buying the torch, realized unlike the old machine torch came with ZERO consumables (not even to get started). Got fed up and ended up buying 3rd party consumables from Amazon.

Careful with those third party consumables on Amazon. There’s a reason hypertherm is the best, I wouldn’t risk my machine torch to save some money on consumables.

6 Likes

Those little buggers were tricky. I took 1-3 attempts for each screw without the tape or magnetic drive. In other words, I had enough intermittent success that it suckering me to keep fighting it. I thought about heat shrinking tubing over the head and the wrench.

Obviously your torch issue is on Hypertherm and not Langmuir. I had a similar experience with brand new 45XP with two hand torches but did not foresee EVER being able to afford a table. A year later I am buying a table and needing to buy the machine torch which costs more than cheaper plasma cutter systems. I hear ya. But…you get what you pay for.

That will be water all under the bridge and hopefully you will start to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

welcome to the forum…truly a well thought out and well written start to your journey in the forum.

As I might say your list of Negatives is not to harsh…but something to note…

When I went to buy the table, as like many others, I found as many sources of help and information before I went to assemble the table…read alot and learned before starting…

I jouned the forum and participated and learned before I had the table, I knew what the possible shortfalls were and knew how to deal with them as I went along.

I bet you would have benifited from joining the forum ahead of time and quite possibly preventing the list of negatives you posted…and making your first post more positive feeling.

Glad to see you are on your way to getting addicited to burning metal…

@brownfox Join is very right about consumables…I have tried off-shore knock-off consumables and here is what I learned…

• the quality of these is not the same as OEM parts
  • they are not as reliable for duration and cutting

That noted I found I was

• either running through more consumables becuase they were wearing out faster…
  • blowing out the tip or electrode in mid cut even though the last consumable lasted 3 taimes as long
  • wasting materila due to blow outs…wasting time replacing them.

I know of several people who use them…but will swap out consumables mid cut to prevent loss or damage to what they are cutting, saving the used parts for later.

changing tips often…wasting metal…adds up quickly and will lead to quick loss of time and money and any profit…

I know that with my OEM parts I know that after a certain number of pierces I risk a blow out or degration of cutting quality…so I swap them out then…not when it has ruined my cut…

Thanks for your posts and I do hope you continue to participate in the forum.

1 Like