My Crossfire Pro Project thread

Maybe a solution has already been proposed for this; but I struggled with mounting my THC voltage box. The supplied velcro failed after a few months, adhesive tape eventually failed too. Eventually I resorted to zip ties.
So, today I drew up and 3D printed a bracket for the THC module. It has some countersunk holes for #10 screws and holds the box tightly.
I’m not really in the 3D printing production business…but if anybody wants one I’ll make one up for a few $$ to cover the cost of materials and shipping. Or, I’ll send you the STL file for free if you have a 3D printer.

1 Like

@mverley I would love if possible to get that file…love the looks of that clip.

Message sent with the STL file; let me know if you run into any issues with it.

I find that since plasma “tears” through aluminum, the edge seems to be quite rough. Is this the same as with your cuts? Did you have to grind/smooth everything or was the rough edge finish OK?

Work on your settings, aluminum cuts nice when settings are right.

Please provide the settings that have worked well for you. I have tried a number of variations and still get a fairly rough edge.

@mverley I would also appreciate a copy of that STL if you could. Definitely not a fan of the velcro :smiley:

message sent with the STL

I will post my aluminum settings Monday for you, sorry for delay.

Here is how my aluminum comes right out of the cutter.

Is there a coating on that piece?

There was a coating, but the clamp was on a sanded portion directly.

that could be part of the problem…a coating introduces another factor in cutting…it adds contaminates that could burn off resulting in a plasma flame that is “dirty” so to speak.
try a piece of Aluminum without any coatings and is wiped clean…see if that makes a differance.

What direction are you cutting these holes in?

Interior holes should be cut in a counterclockwise direction the exterior perimeter should be cut in a clockwise direction.

It looks from the cut pattern that this cut in a clockwise direction on the interior hole?

What kind of coating?

Is this anodized?

Is it painted?

Is it the plastic protective film the sheets come shipped with?

Do you think you could list all the parameters that produced this cut pictured?
Are you using a Prime cut?

1 Like

Cuts are the right direction for sure…counter clockwise for holes. This was part of an aluminum painted/coated Duke University sign I picked up at the metal scrap yard.

This is 3/8 aluminuim cut with a primeweld 60. I’m not at my laptop at the moment to look at speeds but it was book speed and I dialed in 10 more psi than recommended.

Those holes were cut clockwise. The angle of the lines in the cut tell the cut direction. The top matches the torch location and the bottom trails behind it, as it moves forward.

1 Like

I cut 3/16" aluminum at 80 ipm, .9 second delay 45 amps air 75psi at torch. cut height

2 Likes

Thanks for posting all the info, I have been looking for 3/16" Aluminum settings!