My CrossFire Pro Build

It is $243.20 US for 20 liters(5.28 gallons) delivered (48.21 of total is shipping) to San Francisco Bay Area. I am calling Lube Clean on Monday and see how long until they ship.

After completing the Y axis adjustment I moved the gantry assembly and “snap, crackle, pop” the lower fixed bearing block bearing snapped. I think I’m going to need another.

I saw this posted on here somewhere. Hope it helps…

Sackorange 100 PCS 608 ZZ Skateboard Bearings, Double Shielded,8x22x7 Miniature Ball Bearings(Pack of 100)

1 Like

How the heck can they sell 100 bearings for about $18.00? Amazing!

Not sure, but it was recommended by an experienced Crossfire owner for replacement parts…:blush:

You get what you pay for.

Because the bearings run metal on metal I think these with nylon shells would be more reliable.

These also seem to be high quality steel bearings.

Whatever bearings you get, please let us know how they worked out for you.

3 Likes

They sell them by the billions and they generally don’t last long as a skateboard bearing. Fortunately a CF is not particularly challenging environment (as long as the bearing is sealed).
My home brew CNC router was built entirely from these cheapo bearings. Only had one fail in that application and that was an early fail.

2 Likes

They’re probably seconds. They’ve got no ABEC rating and the comments suggest the sizes are not within tight tolerances. But they’re likely fine for things like drawer slides and other non-precision projects.

They might be fine for the Crossfire since there’s a fair amount of adjustability in the gantry setup. But I’d match them in 4s so they’re all exactly the same before I used them.

Another alternative would be skateboard bearings with an ABEX 7 or greater rating. Not as cheap but way more dimensionally accurate.

3 Likes

Well,the boys at Langmuir are sending me a new fixed bearing block. Thanks for the great customer service guys.

2 Likes

What size, and how much of the drag chain did you use?

I used 3 of the 10mmX20mm-outside open drag chain.
Amazon has them.
Ignore the 7x7mm in the description below - it is the correct link for 10x20…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFFT1K5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you order something else be certain to get the “Open Type” which allows you to carry cables with big connectors on the end.

You will also need to extend the Z-axis cable.
I used Amazon.com

Remove the screws at the connection and cable tie the male and female ends together.

You will also need to make something to screw down the drag chains.
I drew up and 3D printed these.

On this one I lengthened the screws to be able to fasten it down. Note I haven’t put the nuts on it yet.

3 Likes

We’re the factory cables long enough for your drag chain set up?

73cruiser - I updated my post with that info.

1 Like

Can you post a picture of your setup with the drag chains zoomed out so we can see the whole thing? Looks like a nice mod.

I ordered 10x20 as well but, forgot to make sure they open… oops… Ordering the right ones this time around. I’ll find something to use these on. :thinking:
Would you have gone any wider with yours if you could? Say 10x30mm? Did it take about 3 meters of chain, all together?

Yes, it took 3 one meter parts.
I ordered the closed ones first also.
I thought they all opened up.

I thought 10x20 worked best.
Smaller just didn’t look right.
Larger meant making bigger parts to hold the ends.

1 Like

theworkshope - Here you go.

4 Likes

Looks like she’s ready to take out and put to work…:blush: very clean looking…
I figured that the first time I “butter fingered” a sharp piece and it cut a cable, I’d wished I had these. Great idea, they use on commercial tables, why not ours, huh.

I don’t know, Jim. While the CF appears to be ‘Basic Black’, the rug and the leather sofa match so well that I think you should, at least, go with ‘Espresso’ or something that would compliment the decor…
And that gaudy red torch holder? It’s just not happenin’…

However, having said that, I DO like the cabling! Fine job!

6 Likes

@ felich

Not dicing you or whatever term is nowadays.

Why not just use nutserts or similar? Instead pf 3d printed parts as spacers? Easier since you can quickly 3d print?

Love the cable management, great job

1 Like