Miller 875 overkill for Crossfire Pro

That reminds me of a question I posed to my boss/owner of a machine shop i once worked many years ago. Why such large machine ( it was a large horizonal boring mill ) Answer: On a little machine I can do only little jobs. on the large machine I can do BIG and little jobs. He was right you never have enough restate or horsepower to do a job.

2 Likes

This is some 3/16 cutting on my 625, I love my Miller cause everything else I have is Miller as far as my TIG and MIG and this plasma machine but I think if I upgraded I’d probably go HT for the plasma

1 Like

@CHUCK
That is some serious nice nesting on those parts…not to mention the clean cuts…really sweet.
and your cutting speed is pretty decent.

what amps and speed are you running for the 3/16?

Thanks man heres a screen shot of what I run on the 3/16"

Nice job Chuck! I’m getting pumped.

@lair12
this is from another thread I was working on…great info

mechanic416

6m

Well yes you could. But the kerf of a 20 amp tip is 0.65mm/.025" and the 30 amp is 0.8mm/.030". The 20 amp tips work best on plasma cutter that go down to 10 or 15 amps best and on metals 18,20,22,24 gauge.

1 Like

Good info… I’m also looking for best setup for fine detail down to 14g. I have the PRO to start assembling this moth and an XR coming in Oct. HT is looking better. I hadn’t thought much about hand vs machine torch… never used a machine torch. I’m going searching for details now…

Miller has 40A and 60A tips for the 875 Spectrum XT60 torch. Their 30A tip only works on the 625X with the XT40 torch. Would the 40A be good for all my needs? https://store.cyberweld.com/miplti40amp21.html

a machine torch is no different that a hand torch…except it fits better and stays on the table…same points…same consumables…just easier to work with

1 Like

I understand this torch vs hand torch. My question is whether the Miller 40A tip would be meet all my needs as the 30A tip would not fit.

I’m just considering those machines in my price range that are in the LS approved list as of today. Top three choices?

Plasma Cutters Compatible with the CrossFire™

MODEL MAXIMUM CUTTING AMPS

RAZORWELD
Razorcut 45 45A $895

HYPERTHERM
Powermax 45/45XP 45A $2100

THERMAL DYNAMICS
Cutmaster 52 45A $2000
Cutmaster 60i 60A $2500

MILLER
Spectrum 625 40A $2100
Spectrum 875 Auto 60A $2000 - Craigslist

LONGEVITY
Forcecut 42i 40A $1050
Forcecut 62i 60A $1200

HOBART
AirForce 40i 40A $1900

already had an 80 Amp Lotos that’s a solid machine, so picked up a 1.1 machine torch for it. That’s gonna go on the big XR.

Decided on precision over power for the PRO… So ordered razorweld 45 and some extra 0.6 and 0.8 consumables.

Question for anyone who ran razorweld with handheld vs machine torch… was there any functional difference between the two? Cut quality, speed, thickness?

Thanks!

-Levi

lair12, is the good price you started this thread with on the 875 the $2000.00 Craigslist find? These go for over $3000.00 new, depending on the condition of the machine, that is not a bad price. I paid $1500.00 for mine, it was recently serviced by authorized Miler service repair and the previous owner never used it after getting it back. Its good to go, I cut with it before I took it home. As far as getting fine cuts with it, I’m sure you could get fine cut consumables and turn the amperage down, but that remains to be seen? I plan on cutting mostly 1/4" material on mine. Just a thought, not pushing this cutter on you, you do what you think will work best for you needs.

Only tip options seem to be 40A and 60A for the XT60 torch. Will I ever use a 60A setting if all I cut is 3/16 max? Do you use the 60A with a higher speed, or will the 40A at a slower speed give better results? Never having done this before, I’m not sure whether the additional “horsepower” will hurt me if I do thin cuts and can only get a 40A minimum tip size. The Miller 625 and the Hypertherm 45 both allow for 30A tips which I believe have smaller orifices and cut more finely. The Hypertherm even has a “fine cut” 30A tips which I believe is smaller orifice than their regular 30A tip.

I have a Razor 45 / Pro table and have had no problems with 3/8 and below. I have cut 1/2 without much problem but clean up and edge sharpness is something to deal with but not bad for a few cuts here and there. I mainly cut up to 3/16 and the only thing I’m considering is changing to a machine torch so I can use smaller tips for finer cuts. That’s mainly for smaller text type stuff. Other than that I have been able to cut clean, fast and without much dross to clean up. it works well for thin gauge metal.

What model 80 amp Lotos plasma cutter do you have? All the Lotos 80 amp plasma cutters are High Frequency that I know of and they don’t work well on CNC tables.

If you are getting the new Razorweld 45 it comes with a TH70/X45 torch. There is only one cutting tip for that torch it is rated at 50 amp.

A machine torch has some advantages over a hand torch on a CNC table. Once the machine torch is mounted and squared to the table your cuts should all be the same. When changing consumables you don’t have to remove the torch. As well as the torch and cable weight is not hanging off to the front or side, and the THC can work better.

2 Likes

@mechanic416 you’re right, I forgot it’s HF. So I guess I’m in the hunt for a unit to go on the XR… The 2021 Everlast 82i was on my shortlist… a bit tough to find one right now, bit machine isn’t showing up till Oct.

That is a good unit for the price. If they ever get working on the docks at the port they will be in stock.

not sure if I mentioned it…I run the 62i…
make sure when you do get it and set it up you get raw voltage right from the lugs inside the front of the machine…
the pins on the back are not reliable for divided or raw voltage.

do a search for everlast raw voltage here and you will find a few pictures.

2 Likes

@toolboy Thanks for the heads up. Probably going the Everlast route… that gouge feature is interesting… I see Lincoln is marketing their table setup as capabilities of “etching” text without throughcut.