Miller 625 X-treme dross (Solved)

@ChelanJim Thank you. The overlap conceptually makes complete sense as the why it is causing the issues at the lead in/out points. I just tried adding a Finishing Overlap, but keep getting a linking constraint error for almost all of the letters and it discards their pass. I have tried reducing the distance down to 0.0001 and it still does the same thing. I tried reducing the distance for the lead ins as well and still no joy. Any suggestions.

@Knick It is 14 gauge steel and I started at 200 ipm and the last one was at 160 ipm, with the feed optimization slowing it down to 120 ipm and 80 ipm respectively.

wow I cut 14 ga at 90ipm at 45 amps

What changed to give you the error? your lead in needs to be very small with that small text.
I was able to get your first F3d to cut.
Post your latest F3d

I just went through that exact same exercise. Don’t do any more than 0.01 finishing overlap. At 0.02 it is a nightmare to get all of the contours to participate.

What I ended up doing was cutting the sweep angle to 90 degrees with a lead-in radius of 0.02, but you could start with lead-in radius of 0.01 just to try to make it a bit easier. At first, I also eliminated the lead-out since we have the finishing overlap.

Each time you run it and it drops a letter, go back and edit to select the preference of lead-in for the dropped letters. If you already have a “preference” selected for that contour/letter and it did not use it - then delete that previous selected point (Hold down CTRL and click on the previous point). Now pick another point and see if it will work. I found that straight sections were more reliable to take.

Eventually, I got all letters to take and added the lead-out back in. But believe me, it is not necessary if you have the finishing overlap.

Edit:
I used your f3d and just worked with the sketch. Here is what I changed in Passes:

This is the Lead-in settings:

You can see on this image where the lead-in sweeps in and the the finishing overlap copies over for a brief bit.

I tried the same thing and got about the same thing. I dont see why adding overlap drops some of the letters.
Makes no sense, something is wrong I just put a .0001 over lap and it would only cut one letter. That letter is no different than the rest. Set over lap to 0 and it cuts all of the letters.
I would ask Autodesk

1 Like

Totally agree Knick. That simple sketch about did me in. That is some graduate level stuff right there. I don’t know what is making it so hard.

MAGA ornament Chelan.f3d (292.9 KB)

This is with that finishing overlap.

Thanks guys. I just went through the file with same settings and saw exactly what you mean about moving the selected preference. I am gonna go try and cut one right now and I will let you know how it goes.

10 thou overlap is not really worth doing in my book. thickness of a sheet of paper

I know it doesn’t sound like much but that is mostly my standard setting: no lead out and o.o1 finishing overlap. It delays the torch just enough to accomplish a touch more. We will see what happens here in a bit. Maybe no improvement. I don’t really understand what is going on with his cut

1 Like

Well here it is. The first one is your file. I tried a second one with the file I did. Again it is better in some spots, but still the same issues.

Better, yes. But what is up with the hole at the top. I would hope @TinWhisperer drops back by to give his opinion. Or others.

The stepper motors are not too blame because you have a nice outer circle and the letters are proportionally spaced. Some of the additional dross is expected since there are lots of slower speed areas. What is not expected is for a contour to not be completed.

Are your consumables all OEM or at least from a reputable dealer like @mechanic416? You don’t have to address this question, if you don’t want to. I am just thinking out loud. But I do think it is something with your torch: consumables, damage of work lead, moisture. And it is more of an issue at the lead in/lead out.

1 Like

I just replaced the electrode, tip, swirl ring, and shield today with new in the package Miller parts from a reputable dealer. Interestingly enough it didn’t really change anything. I agree about the incomplete hole at the top. And yes, the other edge of the ornament is beautiful.

Maybe santa will bring that Hypertherm I’ve always wanted so I can rule out the cutter. :rofl:

It is not cutting the beginning of the cut. I overlaid the picture of the cut (above) with the manufacturing toolpath.

@JesseA Try doubling the pierce delay and/or reducing the lead in feed rate. Also make sure the work clamp ( ground…) is attach to the material being cut . Maybe this Miller is a little slow at establishing a cutting arc?

2 Likes

Might consider making new design with same size circle at top and same size single letter. Do a square around it. I hate to see wasting 14ga steel trying to figure it out. The other thing you can learn is kerf while you’re getting pierce delay. speed and amps figured out.

I just did quick search on your plasma cutter. Might be some good information from past users ti help you dial in that cutter.

@TinWhisperer Thank you. I will try adjusting the pierce delay and lead in rate. I have been grounding to the plate but will make sure there isn’t any issues with the clamp.

@DonP I feel like those settings aren’t too far off from where I’m at adjusted for 14 gauge and they work good for long cuts. But have issues at the lead in/out which is really highlighted on these smaller areas like the letters. You are right in the I need a smaller test piece. I damn near have a bucket full of these ornaments.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

1 Like

You’ll get it dialed in soon. We’ve all had struggles.

I think this part is only 3 or 4" in Dia, pretty small

So refresh us on a few things

Have you had good cuts in the past?
If so have there been any changes since those good cuts?
Since this started have you tried cutting anything else?

Most of my cuts have been pretty good, but they were simpler cuts. I have never had good luck with letters or numbers cutting out completely. I did an ornament with just two larger numbers and it cut pretty well, but I still had to do quite a bit to clean it up at the lead in/out.

Most of the other cuts I have done were simpler designs and on 1/8". I did try cutting an 18 x 8 sign for my brother-in-law a few days ago and it was pretty bad. I mean the longer cuts looked pretty good and the dross wasn’t too bad, but almost every piece wasn’t completely cut through and letters looked really bad. Actually, the first pictures I posted in the thread were from it. You can see what I am talking about.

021519a1e6c11b27ee2b41a951ce721561869a6f_2_375x500