Lowest temp you have run table in garage?

What’s the lowest temp in garage you have ran your plasma table any problems ???

1 Like

It was 72 degrees in the Workshop, no issues… :rofl:

2 Likes

low 30s is coldest I have ran my table. no water in it. I put a heater in the garage shortly after I purchased my pro. Your biggest problem will probably be moisture in the air at colder temps. I worked at a place that had a couple of shop sections that were unheated. Guys would drag out plasma cutters use them and let them sit out there over night and it would freeze up the internals due to the moisture in the air condensing inside the machine. Im talking temps of 20F and less. It gets cold here in the winter. we had -27 yesterday morning.

2 Likes

I have rum in the low 20s. Haven’t done it this year. Having a hard time being motivated to work in the cold. Trouble is I don’t have anything to clean/exhaust the air so I use open doors and fans. I’ve pretty much decided not to run unless it’s 40° and sunny out.

3 Likes

I’ll have Rum at just about any temperature although I prefer my Pina Coladas when it’s in the high 70s.

4 Likes

That sounds exactly like my situation/approach. I’m in S Indiana, so climate is not severe, but plenty of days well below freezing. I rely on table placement adjacent an overhead open door, with pedestal fan blowing out. It’s been close to two weeks since I’ve cut anything.

We’re in the deep freeze right now like everybody else. Probably be at least another two weeks before I fire up again.

1 Like

What you get when you combine cold fingers, with a numb brain. :cold_face::+1:t2::joy:

My table is froze most days here in upstate NY actually helps keep water splashing to a minimum.

I don’t even worry about thawing it out just run it and as you cut it will thaw. No issues with anything so far but I don’t cut much so not like I’m running my compressor for hrs just normally a few cuts here and there.

2 Likes

I recently added one of these heaters to the lower block on my compressor. It really hammers and turns slowly when it starts in sub 50 degree weather. I plug this in 30 minutes before I’m going to cut and its helped. I also hand rotate my compressor a few times during that 30 minutes, to help circulate the warmed oil.

I see this one is out of stock, but sure there are comparable items.

Amazon.com: Car Engine Silicone Pad Heater - 2 x 5in Self-Adhesive Oil Pan Heater Pad with 194°F Thermal Protector & 68" Power Cord, Car Truck Oil Pan Heater Pad for Metal Surface(150W 120V) : Automotive

4 Likes

Interesting. I have several of those kicking around from a project I did but never thought to add one to the block of the compressor.

My compressor is in a small compressor shed off the side of my shop and the top half of the door is open so it’s as cold as the ambient temp. But so far no issues with my compressor starting but this is a great idea

1 Like

Huh. That is interesting…never would have even tried to cut on the ice.

Yeah it actually works good.

I did however just add one of those little diesel heaters to my shop and it help thaw out the water table but takes a day or so to do so but it does warm it up in the shop to at least sweat Shirt temps. If I leave on high for few hours it’s nice and toasty in there but my little shop is only 12x16 we’re I house my table

1 Like

I’ve run Lasko floor ceramic heaters in both my workshops for over a decade. Simple, cheap and easy.

1 Like

I have a large wood burning stove behind which I built a blower duct using an old squirrel cage motor from a forced air furnace. I also have a heater similar to the link that I use to gain the first 10 degrees or so, then I shut it off to save $$$.

My garage is 40 x 50. I try to heat it often enough to keep the floor temp from dropping below 40F. That makes it easier to get it to 50-60 air temp in an hour or so. Right now, with overnight lows near 0F, inside air temp gets down to around 30-35. Takes 1-2 hrs to reach 55F. My water table usually has no ice.

Dyna-Glo™ Delux 70,000 BTU Portable Forced Air Kerosene Heater at Menards®

4 Likes

Yeah I have a wood stove but didn’t get time to build an addition off the side of my little shop.
Hopefully get to that this summer but I actually like cutting with a frozen table over it being thawed it seems to contain the sparks and arc way better and I don’t have to worry about moving the torch after a cut

1 Like

Hey David,

We don’t have an official temperature range that we recommend - however, the CrossFire PRO can be used in below freezing temperatures. If it’s below freezing, we recommend powering on the Electronics Enclosure and allowing the motors to idle until they are warm to the touch.

From what we’ve seen, the plasma cutter is more likely to be affected by the cold than the CrossFire. I’d check your plasma cutter’s manual or reach out to the manufacturer to see if they provide a minimum operating temperature.

4 Likes

I heat my shop with wood 20’ x 30’, 14’ to peak. Light first fire mid-November burns 24/7 till spring. Shop stays above 75 even with temps in -20 with wind chill. R -19 insulation in walls and ceiling.

5 Likes

Bigdaddy2166 hates winter: Yesterday, it was 6 degrees, and this morning, it was 12. Chattanooga was not built for this. Now my shop is 70 but worry about power failures.

download

3 Likes

…and, I’m hatin on you right now :grin:

Just kidding. You must have a real wood burner. I have one of those large pot belly stoves. It’s great, but needs wood added at least every 2 hours. I’d have to move into the garage…wait, …move into the garage :thinking:

2 Likes

Man, if I could pick up my entire family and move from Indiana, it’d be to either SE TN or SW Texas. But, ain’t gonna happen.

1 Like