Looking for HELP and info!

Ok so I have read through some threads in regards to this but decided to start my own with hopes of being able to start cutting by the end of the year. I have time now so i should be able to achieve this goal!

I will start with the first step which will be the program i plan to use. I was thinking about using Illustrator since another local company uses that after talking with them. I tried fusion 360 which was cool but probably way more than i need and a little more costly. I saw easel was another option but it doesn’t seem like many people here use it. Solid edge is another option that seems like is somewhat common here. I don’t mind spending some money for the software but would like to start cutting before i invest in something like fusion. I should mention i would like to be able to have the software on my desktop and laptop to be able to switch back and forth as necessary, doesn’t need to be ran at same time but would rather not have to spend double to be able to access on my computers.

Fire Away with your comments and concerns.

You didn’t mention Inkscape - its a free vector drawing option. Many on here use it. I’ve grown up on Illustrator and have an Adobe subscription for other non-cutting things, so that’s what I use, but I’ve used Inkscape and it’s a very good place to start - very similar to Illustrator without the cost. It may be all you need depending on what you do with it.

I tend to break down the design software into two broad categories:
Artwork / Signs - Inkscape / Illustrator
Technical Drawings - CAD stuff - Fusion 360, Solid Edge, etc…

Can you do artwork in Fusion - yes, but it’s probably not the “best” option. Can you do technical drawings in Inkscape - yes, but there are better tools to help you with that…

5 Likes

James, well said. All depends on your background, mine was 2d cnc machining, so I “think” differently.

To me I can make a “part” because I know tolerances needed, so I draw in a “mechanical kind of space” with known end points and sizes.

I am very artistic BUT when it comes to this, I tend to use available .dxf/.svg etc because I don’t have a computer art background, that is what I need to work on.

BUT on that note! I can use mastercam,Mastercam, etc to merge/combine/change and make my own a design, morphed out of…ideas

I can make art by hand, fingers, eye etc…but I do not know how to do the beautiful drawings done by a computer pen in the hands of an artist who has graduated to the computer world

2 Likes

Oh yes, inkscape skipped my mind. I think I’m going to go with this software to start cutting, especially since you mentioned its similar to illustrator, which I will most likely eventually purchase since i may be able to get additional help with it. I will keep it at artwork/ designs for now. Nothing technical until i have advanced in this area. My background is very novice and have minumal computer skills :grimacing: I will download inkscape, start watching some videos and keep an update on this just in case i have any questions. Thank you for the input gentlemen it is very much appreciated! :beers:

1 Like

When searching for YouTube videos do your searches on Arclight Dynamics such as “Arclight Dynamics - Inkscape or Sheetcam or Solid Edge”, ect. They have some really good videos and explains everything well.

3 Likes

Ok i will, so now that im working with inkscape, the next software i need is sheetcam correct?

Correct. The design must be translated into code the table can ‘read’. That is done thru CAM software that translates the lines and curves into g-code. Fusion has that built in, but even Fusion users many times use sheetcam due to it’s simpler process. If you use design software like Inkscape, you’ll need another tool to do the translation. Basically, you’ll export your design from Inkscape as an SVG file and then import it into Sheetcam. In Sheetcam, you tell it what settings to use for the cut and then ‘post’ the job - which generates the code that is then uploaded to Firecontrol…it’s a multistep process. Sheetcam is a learning process as well…but it’s a powerful tool…

2 Likes

I think a lot of people are just like that, using templates and what not. I’ve been doing a lot of my stuff from scratch. I’ve been thinking about advertising design services. I feel like I’ve got a good hold on how to make stuff work out of metal. I use affinity designer and design in svg.

That’s the Peruvian flag on the left. I combined existing paths from a source file and then added a stroke to the outside the width of the kerf, and adjusted the detail to where it would cut. To get the holes all lined up I just copy and paste then move them to another layer of the drawing, group them and drag them away to nest in the same file.

4 Likes
  1. Peru is a beautiful country and I am glad I traveled there for 3 weeks. The culture and history is so amazing.

2. Love the blend of the flags and the finish of the metal…us that stainless?

2 Likes

ok, im understanding all of these steps a little more now. So from here looks like mach3 is the next software i will need. I have the trial version downloaded but i will be needing to purchase to do the bigger projects im looking to do. Are you guys using mach3 or is there another option out there i should be thinking about.

Looks good man! I plan to start with templates to get the ball rolling but will eventually be moving to more complicated design like that picture you posted.

So the “table control software” is another step. I mentioned ‘Firecontrol’ earlier…that is what’s used for the Pro table, and if I understand correctly, some of the non-Pro tables. Originally Mach3 was the software used by Langmuir to control the table, but I’m not sure if that’s still true on all tables they sell. I imagine it depends on how recent your table is.

If you have the pro version, you don’t need Mach3.
If you have the non-pro version - you may or may not need Mach3. Check with Langmuir support to verify what you need specifically. If you table uses Langmuir’s Firecontrol software, you don’t need to purchase Mach3.

Hope that made sense…but definitely check before you purchase Mach3.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s just cold rolled 16g mild steel. I gave it a pattern with a 120 grif flap disc and hit it with some clear coat. Clear coat makes it pop.

1 Like

Ok so i just looked up my order placed at the end of August and it looks like it come with fire control so i will download that.

EDIT: I downladed it, im going to work on the other software some more over the weekend and hope to get something cut out monday! I will update you guys! Thanks for the help, feeling pretty good about cutting by the end of the year!:beers:

1 Like

Ok so im feeling pretty good about inscape as far as basics go. I am currently having trouble with sheetcam. Im trying to set the size of table through: Options - material options - 25" x and 33" y for the size of my table. 2 Things: #1 There is a red square that seems to change depending on the size i enter for x and y. There is also a grey box behind that, what is that box? im not seeing it on any other tutorials. #2 When i import my dxf drawing, i scale it to inch but it comes out way bigger then my material piece(red box) and i cant seem to adjust it. If i hit metric its too small. Do i just customize it to fit properly?

I will keep watching more videos, i know i still need to set so much more in sheetcam but were rolling now!

do not worry about that…gray box…and you can make the red box as large as you want…it will not affect your cutting right now.

the most likely problem with your drawings scale is when you first import your drawing into sheetcam it asks you to set the scale…it should be 1:1…

1 Like

ok ignore gray box! i did set it 1:1 in inches and i made sure it was in inches from inkscape as well.

does it matter what dxf i save it to in inkscape? there are 2 options the only diff i see are r12 and r14

wait i lied to you. So when i select inch its like 1:25.4 … if i hit custom and set 1:1 then its way smaller than the red box. does that matter?

what design program are you using?
use the 14 version

design is inkscape … 1.0.1