Learning how to 3D scan

Looks like my Ham Radio station during a contest!! Used to do some CrAzY stuff!! Well, as crazy as you can with that… Just missing a few radios and microphones!

1 Like

Is that thing running 4K?

I thought about switching one of my monitors out for a larger TV.

It’s almost time for an office rearrange.

That’s piqued my interest before, are you having much success?

Next time I’m running some processing file I will open up the detailed memory breakdown in the task manager.

The data capture can be done even with an Android phone. But some of the post process seems to eat up resources. There’s a Revopoint studio purpose build software for after the scan that I’m still waiting for a CD key for. See what kind of resources it uses.

Sounds like you picked a good one.

I also have this disease.

The price is fine! …just that a 36 hour day would be about just right! :rofl:

1 Like

Well this is the best CPUs that I can put into the motherboard I have. It’s currently on sale for $530 Canadian down from $800 Canadian.

Cheaper than the ram

We’ll see how I make out I don’t want to spend a bunch of extra money right now.

I’ll definitely be looking into my software utilization as @TomWS suggests

1 Like

Yep. Although I’m thinking I need to go higher - I picked up the new Theta X and it takes 11K 360 photos :smiley: It’s like a never ending tech arms race here.

I’m only doing it as a hobby right now. But I’ve been asked if I’d do projects for a couple of builders & architects. Right now I’m doing a construction progression series on my new house build.

I’m also doing a 360 Tour for the local historical society’s village. Have to finish the grounds next week and then start the interiors of the buildings. That’s all done with the Theta and some overhead drone shots. Then a 3D photo model when I’m done.

1 Like

And here I’ve been thinking you’ve been goofing off all this time! Tsk…

1 Like

Trying to scan an old tape measure this morning.

And the interactive 3D model

Do you have my CD key as of late last night so I can start trying to use their studio software called " Revo studio "

This is getting too interesting to leave alone. Think I’m going after the POP 2 soon.

First this is soooo cool…amazing tech for 3D printing…

my question…how big is the MANUAL for this thing???

2 Likes

This is a pretty inspiring video of what can be done with one of these Revopoint POP2.

1 Like

Like, WOW! :nerd_face:

1 Like

They just updated their scanning software last night and it seems quite a bit more manageable and tracks better.

I played with a few options early this morning but the work day comes too quick.

This link is to one of the gurus over at the Revpoint forum. Check out some of his scans, pretty amazing. I can’t wait till the weekend where I can get some more time in on this machine.

2 Likes

It was a busy week at work but I had a little time to keep learning with this machine.

A small shell

A toy elephant

I have a lot to learn about post processing point clouds, it is quite an art.

edit: The elephant interactive model seems to shall out when loading…

3 Likes

Still waiting for my POP2 to arrive. Fedex been crap and stuck in Bristol ( UK ) for the last 20 days. Annoying thing is I’m 45 minutes from Bristol but they say they can’t find it the box!
I have the POP1, whilst is ok, the POP 2 should be twice as good looking at some of the posts.

Enjoy, is a steep learning but is worth it :wink:

1 Like

I am finding that out. lol

Here is some result from that last couple sessions.

Start work on a more complex scan that need to be piece together in post. it is coming along .

This is a Gas powered circular saw

next it a little toy sheep 2.5" tall 3" long

1 Like

Looks Awesome!

Couple Questions:

• Can you get accurate surface areas and volumes from your scans?

• Do the models translate with correct dimensions?

Once you make a mesh out of data point cloud you definitely can figure out volume and surface area depending on the program your running.

It’s accurate within half a millimeter.

I’m still learning myself there’s quite a learning curve process.

So far I’ve been happy with the results.

My plan on scanning my entire motorbike soon

1 Like

That is so cool. My coworker spends a significant amount of time measuring/calculating surface areas for parts, I’m sure these scanners will replace all of that work pretty soon!

another scan this morning before work.

df8c9d8c8c5adee3c1e659c1aab60f04e19565b1_2_374x500

565690ea3ba84ba221e4f97739015069da2c3b8d_2_377x500

ec6b40238333048b8da105bdcfba8f6323b8f63a_2_644x500
3b3a8c3c16a54688c1fd300c8010f40e559558e8_2_690x471

2 Likes