Laser line guide idea?

Wondering is anyone has adapted a line laser to the torch head to aid with aligning the workpiece?

I was watching YouTube last night and stumbled upon someone using a line laser on both the X and Y that crossed under the machine torch directly underneath the pierce point.

I looked up line lasers on Amazon and they are quite affordable. Would be very helpful and not very hard to rig it up but thought I would see if someone has already tried it and looking for a few tips and pointers before diving in.

search laser in the search bar. theres a few people that have them installed on they crossfires.

1 Like

I am am adding one to my table this week from a design from the forum.

And use the search function…it us helpful

Awesome Thanks!

Need to get in the habit of using the search bar for help

Very handy…and often helps prevent mi or sarcastic replies…hehehe

Ordered this from Amazon for a grand total of $16.25:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081T7TQ3V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the battery holder has a built in on/off switch which will make life a lot easier.
Going to make a mount to hold the lasers that will attach to the factory Machine torch holder.

Will post some pics when done for anyone else that may want to give it a whirl.

2 Likes

I have the same lasers…but I am running wires along the same route as my torch cable so I can have the on/off switch near the PC…and provide a powered transformer or USB power

2 Likes

Found these laser holders on Amazon. Only another $23 for 2 of them:

Not exactly sure how I am going to mount them until everything arrives and I can mock it up but have a few ideas …

3 Likes

Here is what I came up with.
I made the bracket out of Aluminum for weight consideration. Because of the laser projection angle I had to bend the angles that hold the laser holders more than 90 degrees so the lasers would hit the torch tip.

The Battery holder holds 3AA batteries (4.5v) with a built in ON/OFF switch that I have velcro’d to the Z Stepper motor which should should be far enough away from splashing water to stay dry.

2 Likes

I have set up a cross-line laser indicator on my crossfire pro… Love it. Has cut set up and squaring of material and zeroing substantially. I’ve attached some pics of the set up… If there is enough interest I can put together turn-key kits which would include:
Laser indicator with universal mount
Mount to Z-Axis traveler (clamps on with set screw) -Custom Machined
5v extension cable
Torch zero Drop Indicator - for zeroing out laser for any thickness of material -Custom Machined
Total kit if we can stir up at least 10 orders would be $75

Chris@apextechcnc.com

1 Like

here is a thread I started jut for this idea of selling parts or mods

Sign me up for the laser kit!

I saw a pair of lasers that come with a pair of battery holders with switches. It looks like you are using one battery/switch unit. That powers both lasers no problem?

it all depends on what the laser needs for power…I know my little lasers run on 5v…to i put in a hard wired 110v transformer to supply power to the lasers…no need for batteries ever…

Yup. 3 AA batteries (4.5v) on a laser that needs 3-5v.

My kit came with 2 battery holders but wired them both into 1 for simplicity (only need to turn on/off 1 switch) Plenty bright even with all the led shop lights on. Going on about 10 hrs with no sign of dimming yet.

Thought about wiring it to a 110/5v power supply but didn’t want to add to the spaghetti mess of wires that is already there.

1 Like

i 3d printed a mount for mine. works alright.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4888596

1 Like

Here is my attempt.

3 Likes

What is the gray material below the metal plate for? Just wondering, haven’t seen that before.

It’s a piece of rubber roofing.

I was having trouble with evaporation so I cut a piece that hangs over the edges a couple inches to cover the table when not in use.

Evaporation has been virtually eliminated

1 Like