Langmuir Systems has Partnered with ShopSabre!

The Langmuir Systems team is excited to announce a partnership with CNC Industry powerhouse, ShopSabre. The ShopSabre team brings 20 years of experience designing and manufacturing CNC routers and plasma tables that are used in a variety of high-precision operations to cut wood, steel, aluminum, and other materials. While the two companies will continue to operate on a largely independent basis, we are most excited about the combined experience and collaboration between the brands that will further advance Langmuir Systems on its sole mission to bring affordable industrial technology to the masses. Between the two companies, there is now a CNC solution for everyone!

As always, Langmuir Systems will continue to support our products, software, and community with a near term emphasis on expanding manufacturing capabilities and shortening our lead times. Moving forward, the core engineering team at Langmuir is excited to narrow its focus to product development in order to accelerate the expansion of accessories, support, software and new products for the hobbyist and small business markets. We are beyond excited for the partnership and the opportunity to advance the mission that we started years ago! For the full Press Release, please visit the link below. #onwardandupward

1 Like

Is this good or bad? I guess it depends on who owns who?
I’m happy for everyone at Langmuir and hope the mission statement above rings true for everyone involved.
Congratulations to Mike and Daniel on this next chapter @ Langmuir systems.

3 Likes

Congratulations guys! Can’t wait to see what possibilities this opportunity opens up for you. I’m guessing they needed your software because there’s is shit :joy:

1 Like

@Bigdaddy2166 I too have mixed emotions on that front as well, congratulations to Langmuir, but what I worry about which might be unfounded is that I bought into Langmuir because they were Langmuir. I picked Langmuir over shopsabre because truthfully it didn’t seem like shopsabre really had a reasonable solution to get me into this field. I hope the core direction of Langmuir remains true. Congratulations again guys!

1 Like

We recognize that it will take some time to gain the confidence of our customer base with this partnership, but I can tell you with full confidence that our mission remains the same. Our commitment to our customers remains the same. Partnering with the ShopSabre team is going to add resources that will allow us to continue on the path we’ve started down at a faster pace, but the path will not change.

9 Likes

Great to hear… Bigdaddy2166 is sending you and Mike a couple of Cuban Cohiba cigars to celebrate. Cigars not the walking talking type. Look forward to working with Mike and yourself the future.

1 Like

I to am a little skeptical. When you have another company purchase yours, future purchasers will probably see an increase after a short period of time. If I were thinking of buying a table (I already have mine) I would get it on order ASAP.

I’m thinking that the Langmuir people were feeling the pressure to try to satisfy everything that was thrown at them on this forum, and trying to satisfy them, that it was a little burdensome to them, at times. All of these things take a lot of time and money invested.

They have been a wonderful company to work with for the short period of time I have been a member.
I have enjoyed seeing the member on this forum helping each other solve their problems. I hope the best the Langmuir owners and employees going forward, and I also hope that we will get the same service from the new owners. Good luck to all!

3 Likes

I appreciate hearing that. Congratulations again.

1 Like

I hope Langmuir is going to enjoy additional resources and continue to bring products to market that will make these high-priced operations accessible to the rest of us. I have not seen great things from venture capital companies that primarily focus on shorter timeframes with high profits to spin companies off. Hopefully, this won’t be the case here.

2 Likes

I don’t post on here normally because I don’t like trolls and “experts”. But I do get value out of this forum.

I have had a Shop Sabre plasma table in a different life. Good hardware, terrible software and worse customer support. Basically, hey man it’s not our problem. Right on par with Torchmate. Plasmacam, buy $3k in software to use our stuff and we will never transfer your license. I have owned various versions of all these tables over the last 15 years.

I purchased a Langmuir table for hobby use in large part because of the customer support; less so of the price point but understood you can’t be a dumba** to run these machines.

Truly hope the “mission” of the company doesn’t change. But it probably will as deals get closed everyone is high-fiving and later realize they lost control. But I honestly get it, you have to what you have to do to make money. So good luck and god bless. Please keep things mostly the at they are if you can.

10 Likes

Not for sure how this will play out. Sometimes companies buying others is a good thing and other times a bad thing. From a standpoint of seeing it first hand through an OEM company that was bought by another and all the comments about nothing will change blag blah blah and it has really changed. I almost be willing to bet the prices will statt going up and sure hope customer support does not falter. Looking at doing XR table later this year so shall see.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the warm congratulations! We also wanted to take an opportunity to clear the air about some of the uncertainty surrounding our future and strongly reaffirm to folks that it will be business as usual, that the Langmuir Systems philosophy will not change and that we are just as committed to our value pricing and customer commitment as always! We only see this opportunity as a way to make us stronger, faster and better than ever before. With the deep experience and resources of ShopSabre we have some truly gamechanging products coming down the Langmuir pipeline and we will never stray from our mission to make this technology affordable for the hobbyist budget! For any questions or concerns our phones and online forum are always open and happy to discuss!

9 Likes

I’m happy for you guys. You have put a lot of work in! But just because I am a worrier, I hope this doesn’t turn out like the Harley Davidson/Alta cycles partnership. Rock on Langmuir!

2 Likes

Private Equity acquisition is rarely good for the consumer. There is an increased focus on short-term gains and profitability at the cost of the customer. Case in point, Emergency Department Physician Groups were acquired en-masse by private equity over the last few years. Since patients had no choice in emergent situations as to which doctor they saw, the ED physician groups simply dropped their network contracts limiting how much they could bill and the patients were stuck with massive out-of-network charges after a hospital stay in a hospital that was IN their network, but with en ED group that unknowingly was not. This was the impetus for Congress passing the No Surprises Act in an attempt to limit surprise billing. I won’t go into why that’s a disaster though.

That’s just one of many examples, but unfortunately Private Equity focuses primarily on ROI for its investors. They are very good at what they do but they eek out every ounce of short-term profitability at the cost of long-term benefits. It’s likely the great folks at Langmuir Systems will TRY to continue the great customer service and dedication to their base, but management will whittle that away in short order. There is only one reason for Private Equity to acquire a company: they think they can run it more efficiently and inject more capital to make it far more profitable.

12 Likes

Congrats! Hoping the merger allows Langmuir to continue to climb up the food-chain as folks outgrow their machines. And maybe Langmuir can help Shop Sabre with software.

2 Likes

Congratulations, years of hard work, shipping product and making payroll has paid off.

1 Like

The bottom line is that hardware is relatively easy. Software and integration are hard. I give Langmuir full props on the latter. Culture is going to drive customer service and I too hope that Langmuir is able to maintain their great service at the lower end of the market. As many of you know, industrial equipment is so much more “you’re on your own” vs anything consumer oriented. The $20 warranty part that requires the shop to spend a week of downtime tearing a machine apart to do an install.

2 Likes

Good for Langmuir’s owners but too bad for the hobbyist and small shop. Private equity is primarily interested in a quick and high return on investment. The private equity company that bought Langmuir, LFM Capital, typically holds a company for 3-6 years, often the shorter end, then sells them to another private equity firm.

4 Likes

Well I have my fingers crossed this all works out well for all parties involved (including the customers of course), but this does not sound like a “partnership”, it’s an acquisition. I have been involved with private equity investors, and once you get past the honeymoon stage of an acquisition (ie the original owners cash out) the real work starts - meeting the expectations of the new owners (hopefully they can articulate those lol)=. Hopefully there is enough common intent that this goes well, but it will take time to see. In the meanwhile, I need to get my MR-1 running. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly. Acquisitions or partnerships are never good for the customer. We will see these machines double or triple in price to meet the demands of the new board of directors, or disappear all together. Langmuir has been beating the competition with a simple dependable product at a reasonable price, and ( They Don’t Like It.) ShopSabre is going to gain way more than Langmuir will in every possible way. The lawyers will see to that.
Sorry but that my honest opinion.
I lost a great job about 25 years ago due to a acquisition . The owners said it was a great opportunity for us. The first 5 years the new owners demands gutted the company, and we went from over 300 strong then, to about 50 people today. And the company struggles everyday to stay afloat.

6 Likes