Langmuir Systems has Partnered with ShopSabre!

How is this a partnership? Langmuir was acquired. Don’t BS us.

6 Likes

Kinda seems like they saw LS as a competitor who is growing a bit faster than they liked. So, they decided to follow those wise words of Barney Pfeiff: “You gotta nip it in the bud Andy, nip it in the bud!”.

2 Likes

Consolidation is inevitable when a market matures. There are too many manufacturers in this space for everyone to succeed. LS is great at software and support. Particularly when you think about the customer base at the entry-level. From Shop Sabre’s perspective, you are getting access to potentially better software foundations and a large “step-up” market. As a LS customer, I hope to see a path to a more commercial machine with solid, easy-to-use software.

3 Likes

this sounds like what happened to our little company … years ago. seemed like a partnership/merger then the whole thing was sold within a week and they decapitated the front office in short order. all the people that knew anything from both companies were let go. on their web site, they list Langmuir as an add-on to shop sabre. good luck guys

3 Likes

All right. We’ve all had a chance to air our jitters, (me included). Now it’s time to move on with the part where we are all pretty darned happy with our product and the folks that started it. But before we disperse to our various, “what causes this?” " How did you…? " Where can I find…" threads, let’s raise a glass to the team that kept us going despite embargoes, shipping backups and even a pandemic.

Langmuir Team, congratulations and thank you for making it possible for us to enjoy this bizarre addiction to cutting metal!

( Now go cut something, ya lazy sods)

8 Likes

couldnt agree more…funny how the term partnership gets confused with “being bought out”…shopsabre will determine what commitment to customer will be…and their track record on that is…well…

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they aren’t running the company the way we think it should be run. /sarcasm

6 Likes

The always say “will be business as usual, that the Langmuir Systems philosophy will not change and that we are just as committed to our value pricing and customer commitment as always” during an acquisition (I hate the euphemism ‘partnership’. If you got bought, say you got bought!). It’s never, ever true.

A year later, there’s a reorganization, the contracts run out and key Langmuir systems people leave. Support gets moved to the parent as part of a ‘consolidation’.

I would not have bought this table had I known this was going to happen.

7 Likes

Will we still be able to purchase a new Crossfire XR? I’ve been holding off until I get a place to put it.

Yeah, can’t say I’m pumped about a private equity firm. That’s pretty much always a guaranteed negative for the employees and customers. Great for the investors in the firm though! Hate to be a negative nancy, and happy for the founders at Langmuir, but ouch, my stomach dropped a bit when I saw the news.

But hey, I’ve been wrong before, here’s to hoping I am right now. Congrats where congrats is due guys

1 Like

You are right about that. I have experienced that many times and the customers often suffer once a company is consolidated or absorbed. Software updates and bug fixes slow down to a trickle or stop all together. What do the companies have to gain with this acquisition.

The email they sent out today made it sound like “business as usual” but my concern is, when will prices be going up. Been on the fence myself for the XR upgrade. Might have to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

Usually VC buyouts result in jacking up prices, lower quality, and poor support. What does Langmuir Systems (now Shop Sabre) plan to do to assure customers that this isn’t going to happen?

I predict Langmuir Systems start costing over $10k for base units before long as compared to the $20k-$40k ShopSabre systems.

I got a deja vu feeling when I saw this announcment today.

I bought my first Torchmate 2x2 plasma system in 2011. Torchmate made a promotional video on youtube where they claimed they had the best customer support in the industry. Just a few month later Lincoln Electric bought Torchmate. I addressed my concern about this but they said they would still support the Growth Series machines and everything would continue in the same maner as before. 6 month later I needed a new acme nut and leadscrew as sparepart for the machine. At this time they had discontinued the machines and all spare parts. Before this message the price had increased more than 100%.

I bought a Crossfire last autum and now……

I see the same pattern here. Before the summer comes there will be significant price increases and in a few years the crossfire range will be history with no support or spare parts.

The small plasmacutter table with great software/HMI and integrated THC is soon no more and history. So sad :frowning:

If I wanted anything to do with Shop Sabre, I’d have bought one. Your deluding yourself if you think this is going to be good for us customers.

Agreed. I’d never have made the purchase if this was coming. This suck’s totally.

This doesn’t bother me I figure I can repair anything that goes wrong (other than software issues). So I am still glad I was able to make the purchase I did.

2 Likes

And if you need to replace the motherboard or THC module thats inside the electronic box. The only supplier of these that can speak with LS software must be purchased from them. If you cant buy them as spares in the future you have a mechanichal table without a working brain.

You got me there, but I am not the type of person that worries to much about things that may never happen. and who knows maybe by then I will be ready to upgrade!

1 Like

Did you use your torchmate up until you got the Crossfire?