Langmuir Systems CrossFire Pro Discussion Thread

Running milling machines for a lot of years, I’m not sure the x axis carriage would be stout enough for any heavy milling, even wood. Just the design. Not that it could not be easily modified for that. The other thing to consider would be the Z axis. Even the one I bought I don’t think would be good for milling, It’s not really sturdy at all, I can see it wobble traveling up and down. Would definitely need a different one. The one in the videos on the pro table looks to have a couple round rails in the front by the torch on each side, looks much better that what I have, so It just might be sturdy enough, although it looks like it does not have much travel… Guess it all depends on your needs.

I would surely think the torch holder is the same as the current x fire. I saw somewhere that there is a engraver attachment that goes on the end of the torch. It was for a hypertherm but I would think it’s not hard to adapt it to any other style torch

Yeah, I have seen that, it’s a drag tip… I actually made one of those waaaaay back in 1992, I used to run a CNC mill and had to do a lot of scribe lines on wood models. Guess I should have patent that idea!! LOL

So how much extra support do you think you would need in order to compete with say a hobby router like the Mega V? or a shapeoko? Just curious if you would be able to sport a guess Dicky.

Plasmaspider has the EasyScriber but there are other diamond tip scribers out there. Just have to match it to your torch.

3 Likes

@shaunlb I’d just like to see the carriage be more than an L-bracket with more bearings on it holding it a little more around the tube… Just my opinion… Might be fine just the way it is…

1 Like

Just get a SHAPEOKO
IVE HAD mine for awhile now.
They are worth every penny. I have the XXL
I’ve done engraving, cut aluminum and mild steel.
There’s also Z axis upgrades available previously through BEAVER but he’s now working for CARBIDE 3D.

1 Like

Is acceleration speed higher on the pro? Seems like that’s where I experienced the most trouble is that on highly detailed cuts it never had a straight run so it was constantly accelerating so it didn’t matter what speed I set it to cut at

One negative I just noticed is that this table has leveling pads so it’s stationary

I’m planning on replacing those with locking casters :slight_smile: I need mobility in my garage.

Can we get the footprint measurements? Going to start getting things moved around in my garage where i want to place the table, etc. Thanks!

Sweet! I think the measurements that you want are at the bottom of this page: http://www.langmuirsystems.com/pro

Scroll down and you’ll find a sketch of the machine with dimensions.

2 Likes

Perfect! I did not see that before! I am VERY excited to put my order in! Hoping i’m quick enough to be order #1!!!

James, I do as well. I just like to setup my cutter and then put it away when I’m done. @langmuir-daniel , will putting casters on that Pro table hurt anything?

Daniel do you Guys plan on making a etching attachment by chance? If so I will hold off on buying a different brand

An air scriber is something that we really want to offer down the line.

3 Likes

the wording is a little strange on this

" The CrossFire PRO CNC Plasma Table features a powered Z-axis with Initial Height Sensing capability" and then optional torch height controller. Does this mean all Pro machines come with the Z axis that does initial touch sensing but now live THC?

1 Like

Every PRO comes with iniitial height sensing as standard. The THC controller is what you need to buy in addition to the PRO base price.

@langmuir-daniel are you offering a THC made by Langmuir, or an off the shelf brand? I see it has an external plug, assuming those pins go to a break out board. Power, Ground, ArcOK, Up, Down, #6?

The THC is not made by us, but is being customized to our specifications. I can’t yet disclose who the manufacturer is. Your’e largely correct, except keep in mind that the motion control board in the PRO is not the same as the one in the standard CrossFire.