Jeep grill cut file for friend

Not sure where to post this, but I wanted to ask if anyone has cut a Jeep grill out on their plasma table before. I have a friend that is really wanting me to cut her a grill out on my table and was looking for a couple of pointers or things to look out for. TIA

Is that an actual grill or will you be cutting that and attaching it to the existing grill? That will be quite a job with all that painting

1 Like

stainless ?

I’m sure she is going to want those bloody lips. I have a feeling she’s a Rebel! :rofl:

1 Like

No lol I have to incorporate that design into the grill. She has a custom grill on it currently and will be replacing the entire piece, including the areas around the headlights and all, not just a grill insert

1 Like

I thought about stainless, but she’s wanting it color matched so I should be good with carbon.

1 Like

what is the design for the grill? the lips?

Yes sir, I’m going to try and talk her into using the stock shell and I just cut an insert but she doesn’t seem to want to go that route

That will look wild! Can’t wait to see it finished.

Do you plan to layer it for colors? Perforation for air flow?

1 Like

Wow that will be a big job. How will you make it 3 dimensional ?

That’s why I was thinking stainless steel, get a small perforated piece and then cut the outline, but then I would have to worry about the piece falling out. Idk how I’m going to keep airflow at a maximum while having the design still visible

1 Like

I was hoping to get away with a single sheet, and if it needs to be curved, use a small radius bender to get the desired effect.

Double layer? Maybe triple…Quad? Top lip, teeth, bottom lip, backer (reverse order on assembly). 18 or 20ga Aluminum for weight saving. Powder coat.

2 Likes

I take it your not trying to make money on this? I can see all kinds of issues,

Will existing mounts support the weight?
Remember every bump/chuck hole will be trying to tear that thing off.
Does she go off road?

Air flow, will it be enough? what if it over heats and she keeps driving it?
If it does overheat how will you fix it?

Not saying it cant be done, but I don’t think it will be something your going to complete in a day or two
Some people say I worry to much :laughing:

If you do go through with this make sure you post it, I always like seeing what talented people are able to achieve!

3 Likes

I like your line of thinking with the aluminum, and it may have to be a couple layers to get some airflow through/around it.

1 Like

Yeah it looks like it’s 5 fasteners holding it on attached to an upper crossmember covering the radiator, and it just kind of drops in. And I’m sure she’s going to pay me for the material but I’m not trying to make a business out of it. I had a thought of maybe getting her to sign a waiver just in case it does overheat, that I can’t be held liable.

I gotta side with @Knick on this. It will look neat parked, but I would not drive with it.

Mechanic by trade, and any more than 25% coverage without that current grill will cook that engine.

If you think you need to do that, then I would definitely not do it. Is this your wife? :rofl:

1 Like

No it’s a neighbor that we have known for a little while. I will see what her final thoughts are.

1 Like