It's been awhile. Post those projects!

Unfortunately it’s not cantilevered, it should have been though. When the house was framed that balcony appears to have been a complete afterthought despite the fact that they framed in a double door opening on an exterior 2nd floor wall…We used 10 tension anchors to hold the joists tight to the house because the struts will cause some of the downward weight of the balcony to become lateral force pulling the balcony away from the house. We’ll see how this holds up, it’s definitely probably most likely not code. The base of the struts at the house are lag bolted into 4 2x6’s sistered together as a column so there is plenty of strength at that joint.

3 Likes

I’ve been there before.

2 Likes

Instead of buying a drill press fence, I wanted to make one to give me some extra CAD time for plasma and 3D printing. I already had the magnet mounts from woodworking jigs. They just press fit in which is good since the brass heat inserts didn’t work out but are hidden inside. Design inspiration from the one by Magswitch.

16" long, 1/4" steel, PLA for the mag mounts, 3/8" threaded holes.

IMG_0635

IMG_0636

IMG_0637

IMG_0639

IMG_0640

10 Likes

@john_s Great idea, can you post the Fusion or the STL file?

I have added it to Fireshare but the 3D print STL file did not attach. Assuming I need to Zip that file but how do I edit a Fireshare post?

Edit: I absolutely HATE Fireshare, what an awful platform. No way to edit once posted that I can see. Summary is a full run on text block with no formatting preserved, paragraphs would be nice or line breaks. I deleted the Fireshare project in hopes of updating a new one but that failed. It also removed the files on the second try. Unless someone can help I am walking away for now.

I give up on Fireshare, so here are the files for the magnetic drill press fence.

Fence DXF stats: 16" long, 1/4" thick steel, plasma holes are intentionally undersized, you need to drill them with 5/16" bit and thread with a 3/8"-16 tap.

Requires 2 Magswitch 150 switchable magnets: https://www.amazon.com/Magswitch-MagJig-150-Set-2/dp/B01B59KW6Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2O28Q0M63X8D8&keywords=magswitch+150&qid=1687185590&sprefix=magswitch+150%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

STL included for 3D printing the mag mounts. Magnets are a perfect press fit for me (CC3D Matte Black PLA on Bambu Lab X1C, your setup may alter the print accuracy so size up a fraction of a percent in X and Y axes only if necessary.)

Need 2x 3/8"-16 hex bolts with 1 inch thread. Bolts may need to be ground down and shortened the smallest amount if they extend further out the front holes.

DXF for plasma
drill press fence v1.zip (9.7 KB)

STL for 3D prints
magfence mounts centered.zip (5.5 MB)

For reference to post above:
IMG_0636

6 Likes

fun gate project. just got dropped off for powdercoat. update coming soon

13 Likes

What size is that?
Do you mind telling what it runs you for p/c

The steel is 2”x2” sq. What does p/c mean?

Oh, Powdercoating? This project was $350 with hinges, catchpost and frame and sign.

1 Like

Roughly 56” wide 72” tall if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Another fun project. It’s 38” x 31” so pretty big with 32ft of LED lights.

8 Likes

Are those lights battery powered?

Battery or plug-in. I have used these on a few signs. They can also be controlled with phone app (Bluetooth) which is kinda cool. If going to be using all the time I would recommend plugging in outlet but gives you the options.

5 Likes

My sister surprised me by showing up Friday for my 60th. We spent the afternoon in the shop working on decorative shade for her back porch light. Started with a downloaded jpg pattern, cropped with gimp, traced it using inkscape, used Fusion 360 for sheet metal 3D design/flat creation, then sheetcam, fire control, wire wheel, scotch brite, pan brake, powder coat then bake. 2 hours later, we had a beautiful back porch light cover. She did most of the work and it turned out simply beautiful. She’s never used a plasma cutter, grinder, brake or powder coating. She already working on another design.

20 Likes

I love the spray booth, and the fact that you got the misses involved!

1 Like

Looks great….When you say “traced” did you use trace bitmap? And save it as SVG and bring to fusion.

1 Like

Correct, used gimp to select the ‘black’ in the image and saved. opened in inkscape for trace bitmap.

1 Like

Perfect…just making sure

Wait a minute, is that a Haas in the back ground?
This is your hobby shop? I think we need a shop tour!

1 Like