Issues Cutting Stainless Plate

You definitely don’t want the drag standoff on the torch when using cnc table. Are you using thc when cutting? if so don’t, turn it off on thicker material.

We may have a light at the end of the tunnel; I was not aware that when using a CNC table you have to remove the metal spacer ring off the end of the torch (new guy). That was jacking up my actual cutting height and could be causing most of the issue.

I pulled the torch off the machine and was able to easily cut through the stainless plate manually with 1mm HAZ and no topside dross. Will update this afternoon once my laptop is off the dyno and back on the plasma.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been using the THC for all my cuts. I did try to disable it to prevent it from walking away during the cut, but no difference. Mind you this was also in conjunction with the drag standoff, so hopefully, that fixes my issue today. Thanks for the tip about the THC, I’ll try that out depending on my results today.

I don’t have the thc on my pro, have had no issues. I think anything over 3/16 you don’t need thc , as long as material is flat.

• THC off
  • 60A @ 220V
  • 70psi nitrogen pressure
  • 24ipm feed rate
  • Full water table
  • drag standoff now removed
  • Good ground
  • Cut height 0.04"
  • Pierce delay 1.5 sec

Terrible results again. Raising the pierce delay to 2.5 seconds now…

If you can cut it by hand then use the same settings you used for hand cutting on the table.

2 Likes

Any chance of videoing the cut? Might help for everyone to see what the plasma stream looks like.

Getting there! Great results today. Running 30% of my programmed feed rate and double my programmed pierce delay (now around 3 seconds)

All of my consumables were basically new, but I threw a new tip on there just in case.

Bottom looks like so:

UPDATE:

These are the current settings:

Feed rate 10ipm
Pierce clearance 0.15in
Pierce delay 2.5sec

And voila:

4 Likes

That is a lot better a little more tweaking and you got it.

1 Like