Is langmuir supporting modifications to the MR1?

I know they cant really stop us but is Moding our MR1 frowned apon (i really hope not) or if say I was to replace my nema 23 motors on my MR1 and replace them with Clearpath closed loop servos, would Langmuir let me rsise the max rapid and tavel speeds in their software (i dont wanna have to do all the work to set the amchine up with mach4 when the langmuir software is so pretty and user friendly). Of couse I know this would make any sort of warrenty void but that doesnt bother me as long as they let me buy replacement parts, if I do end up being to close to the cutting edge of this machines performance and thusly prematurely wear parts out.

Thoughts?

From what I’ve seen they are sort of “hands-off” with modifications past minor stuff. They haven’t said for us not to modify the machines, but they haven’t said much to show support for mods past a certain point.
From a business stand point, it makes sense for them not to be too open to modifying their software beyond what the base machine is capable of, just for the folks out there that would start tweaking settings and cause RMA’s and such for going beyond the capabilities of the hardware etc.
I think when it comes to additional capabilities of machining and being able to change parameters we’re looking at having to swap control software and doing a bunch of leg work ourselves.

2 Likes

I was worried that for legal reasons or whatnot tbat they wouldn’t support changes to their software on a whim. Its still a great machine. I guess im going to have to get familiar with mach4 or whatever free software is available these days (i have not built a 3 axis mill in over a decade).

We welcome mods to the machine- we will honor any warranty claim as long as the warranty claim wasn’t brought on by the mods made.

Additionally, any performance issues with a particular machine are much more challenging to support if mods have been made that affect performance.

7 Likes

When it comes to mods that does not include drainage and things like that does it or is it only when software???

I have to ask, where are you getting mach4 for free? that is news to me

I just assumed mach4 was free as mach3 was free 10 years ago but your right, mach4 looks to cost 200 bucks