Interference From Plasma Cutter Freezing FireControl

I hear yuh! …but I’m intrigued by this issue some are experiencing and I will devote some effort to it. I will liaise and work with PrimeWeld and @langmuir-daniel to see where it goes.

3 Likes

Bypassing these 2 resistors sounds like a fix to the issue.

In my case it certainly was.

As you well know a resistor restricts current flow. Is it possible the CUT60 voltage is dropping to low from the lower current flow allowing EMI noise to effect it.

In my case (CUT60) it was too much attenuation after the voltage divider on the THC, not a signal to noise or interference issue. The plasma machine has 100k internally, then the front-end of the THC divider board had another 100k, so I bypassed the resistance in the divider board and I was able to get the correct sample voltage.

1 Like

Yeah there is a newer version .6

I ran a CUT60 on my table the last few days with zero interference issues. The CUT60 is 4 feet away from the table control box. I did mount my control box to a 1x3" piece of oak instead of the plastic Isolator piece that comes with the table. Just throwing out my experiences.

I did however have my plugged in laptop ( Panasonic Toughbook. recycled local PD laptop)
get a blue screen of death on a misfire. (material clamp wasn’t hooked up)

1 Like

I will called my pro on Monday Oct 25.
Do I need to apply this or is it done?

why not just make a new post??

I can’t seem to solve this problem. I’ve added chokes. I’ve taken needle nose pliers to the board. Soldered over what I broke out. Moved my laptop off the stand. Moved the cutter. Added a different cutting nozzle. I don’t remember it ever freezing for like the first several months I had it, updated fire control like a year ago, and magically every single time I use it it freezes. I have had to throw away more metal in the last year than I’ve had successfully cut into pieces.

1 Like

what cutter are you using? and how far is it from the control box?

razorcut 45. its 4 or so feet away from the control box. I have added longer cables and put loops in the cables with chokes on them between the cutter and the control box. Cutter is actually further away than it was in the first couple months and I didnt have any freezing issues before I updated firecontrol.

do you have any of the cables coiled or on top of the others? the work clamp cable could cause firecontrol freezing up if it’s on top of other cables. Also, are you using the original USB cable? have you tried a different one?

I’ve ordered a usb isolator that was linked in another thread and the grounding clamp is attached to the drain on the opposite side of the table as the controller and ill double check that there isnt anything coiled around close to it.

i would clamp the work clamp straight to the material. you’ll get other issues the way you have it. if the material is too small to clamp them at least clamp it to a slat that the material is sitting on.

1 Like

I put a full size piece of 3/8" plastic between my controller and the table frame. My CUT60 is probably only 12-14 inches from the controller. It’s on the roller base/shelf I made for the whole table. I’ve probably only make 30 cuts so far, but no freeze ups.

The only other precautions I’ve taken is my laptop is run on an extension cord by itself, and on the cable pole I but the torch lead on one side of the pole and the Z/THC wiring on the opposite side.

The evidence seems to point to the problem being the updated version of Firecontrol. It is a common complaint from people running 21.1.4 and has nothing to do with interference.

You should try the new version 21.1.5 that was created to deal with the freezing issues. Early Access for FireControl 21.1.5 - #6

2 Likes

I had no issues cutting then out of the blue it’s started locking up firecontrol in the middle of a cut with the torch staying on.Ive only ran the latest version on my machine.I did the board mod and still had the issue.It seemed to stop when moving my pc a few feet from my plasma.I didn’t have this issue before and my pc had been in the same spot so I got to looking at my setup and noticed my ground was rolled up hanging over my control box and not far from my pc.I had installed this bolt to hang it after I done my initial set up and cutting of several things.I have a batch one machine that I just recently put together.Im going to reroute my ground and test for awhile.Ill update if it completely goes alway.

1 Like

If nothing else you crated a good magnetic field there.

I think that was the point I was trying to convey in my post.

1 Like