I'm building a powder coat oven

Veins mostly…

4 Likes

Is that a rivet holding the letters? have a link to them or the site

I got this link and dxf from TinWhisperer. He’s the man!

3 Likes

I got the texture kit with the gator black, mini black, copper vein and silver vein and I was wondering what to do with them, that’s a cool idea. I got the vinyl plotter for doing logos and lettering too and I think that would work good with texture powder coat.

1 Like

I love the wrinkle black. I’ve found it turns out better to do the first coat in super satin black and then the wrinkle as I don’t have to use as much. The matte clear gives the veins a totally different look vs the wet clear.

5 Likes

What does he not do? Just one thing he does not do is all I need. Maybe his wife can tell me :joy:

3 Likes

So tell me is the outline on the dragon separate piece from the dragon? Tell me that’s not two tone on the same piece. That looks very nice
What brand powder do you use?

It’s 3 pieces. Columbia Coatings.

2 Likes

Nice job, thanks for sharing all the detail!

you ever do another one of those I would love to see your process for powder

Nothing special. I cut the part. Soak in vinegar for a day or two. Clean off the mill scale and minimal dross. Give it a quick texture in the blasting cabinet. Spray with iron phosphate and rinse. Cook in oven to dry. When it cools to around 140 I shoot it and then cook it since part has to reach temp usually 10 minutes more than it calls for. If there’s a problem with the front I’ll strip the powder off with a surface conditioning tool and 40 grit wheel and repeat steps starting with blasting cabinet. I suck at powder coating but I get lucky now and again…

2 Likes

no I wanted to see how you went about getting that silver around the dragon?
I tried to download so I could mark it up. So your saying that sucks? :rofl:
What is it your not happy with? It looks perfect to me

The silver is a separate piece of steel like the border. There’s several who do the multi layer powder but I haven’t tried it yet…

1 Like

Multi-layer powder is the whole reason I bought a vinyl plotter. I’m powder coating a sign right now that will need the vinyl plotter for the second coat. I’ll post pics of the process, it will be my first go so the results are not assured…

2 Likes

I’ve been all up and down Columbia Coatings website and I can’t find the 2lb hopper. I did a color change today with the 1lb hopper and it worked good so maybe I should just buy a bunch of the 1 pounders.

1 Like

:exploding_head:

That is quite a process!

You’re right they’re gone but the one pounder is a much better looking design than the industrial size plastic mayonnaise jars with tubes siliconed onto the lid that I have…

Just following Columbia Coatings recommendations. Found out about the vinegar on here…

1 Like

Vinegar or Muriatic acid both melt off mill scale. I used vinegar to take the rust off a chain from a 120 year old chain hoist I restored and I let it soak for 2 weeks, it actually pitted the metal so be careful how long you let it soak!

1 Like

If you can find some jars the right size I can send you pictures of a setup I think is a little better than their design on the powder cans it is actually their old style. You can search unknown coating on YouTube he has a video of how to make them . You can buy those same jugs in bulk from Uline.for powder storage then just change lids and spray.

1 Like